Octopus

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Brittle84, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brittle84

Brittle84 Plankton

I just bought some more live rock for my tank and a little octopus came out of the new piece about a day after I put it in there. Does anybody know how to care for one? I was really shocked when I saw it. I was about to go to my LFS and sell it, but I thought it would be cool to have an octopus!

2. Click Here!

3. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What color is the octopus? Is is blue and yellow, or just brown?

4. Brittle84

Brittle84 Plankton

It's a brown color. Here's a pic of it. I pulled it out of the water to look at it a little closer.

Attached Files:

5. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

O alright well just so you know the one with the blue and yellow is deadly and can kill a human within a half an hour if bitten. Anyways there is another member on here who can better assist you about octopus, he has one but I don't remember which member. Check the search engine on the main page, in order to find him.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Godbert has one ;)

7. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

finally a fellow octopus keeper! there are a few things you must consider when keeping an octopus
    one is that they need almost oxygen saturation in their water so if you do not have an air pump i would suggest buying one
    another point is that they are extremely territorial and are capable of taking down fish and inverts that are many times their own size, they are vicious and i have yet to find anything that would be able to survive a fight with mine (admittedly i havent been putting fish in with him but i have run things through my head)
    the final point that i can think of right now is that they are extremely intelligent and crafty if there is a way out of your tank they will find it also due to their intelligence they get bored and upset quite easily, put a glass bottle or a whiffle ball in the tank to keep him amused
    they also need alot of live rock to hide out

8. Click Here!

9. Godbert

i think brittle may be grappling for his life with his new hitchhiker

10. Brittle84

Brittle84 Plankton

Well, thanks for your posts. I think I'm going to take it to LFS because I have fish and a shrimp so I dont want it to end up killing my fish. Thanks!!

11. Godbert

no problem:cry: sad to lose my first fellow keeper

1 person likes this.
  12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Octopus will need to be fed crabs and shrimp primarilly!
    They are awesome, but very difficult to keep for most people. Have to be careful that you don't stress them, or they will release ink which is toxic and can kill other inhabitants as well as the octopus!!!

Water change and carbon is the best resolution to this problem!!
    I would love to have one of them in my tank!!