octopus NW-150 skimmer help me please!!!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by BluePhish, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I have the Octopus NW 110 (fairly new). I agree with the above poster! It was kind of a pain to get everything "just right" and the instructions (what instructions?) were terrible! I'm very pleased with it now, and it takes up much less room in my sump.

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

im goin to be buying the octopus nw 150 very soon for my 55 and i fond this thread very helpfull thank you guys.

4. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

I have been looking at buying this skimmer and this has been the best information! Thanks!!

5. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I recieved my NW150 about a week ago, and it is allready starting to pull crap. It is only a small amount but it has only been running for 3 days. I will give it a few more days the way it is, then try to make some adjustments if no more improvment.

After you get it all set up and running. Blow into the tube that goes to the silencer, and it should start bubbling up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. KY_Tanked

KY_Tanked Fire Worm

What size tank and sump do you have for the 150??

7. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

A 40G breeder display, and a 29G sump/refuge

8. Click Here!

9. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

Ok so my skimmer has been running for awhile now and there are a few things that seem wierd. What is with the little half circle cut out on the back. Just seems wierd to have a spot where the foam can escape. Is it supposed to be there or did I get screwed. Also my skim is like a dark green color. It matches the color of the recent algae outbrake I have been haveing but I heard a light/dark brown is the desired skim color. Also, I haft to empty the collection cup about once a week. I have been thinking about doing the pump mod but worried I may brake something. lol what do you guys think?

These pics where taken just after I dumped the collection cup, but didn't clean it since I heard that could cause it to haft to break in again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Well, I have the little half circle too, so maybe we both got screwed! :lol: Since the Octopus comes with NO instructions, I just winged it. When I had the water level up too high and the foam started coming out the half circle, I just lowered the tube a bit and dropped the water level. It definitely took some fiddling with to get it right, but I think the skimmer does a great job. I set it to where the skimmate is not too thin and a little chunky. Mine is more of a dark greenish-brown color.

11. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Maybe the half circle is an emergency outlet? For instance, if your venturi gets clogged, your water level in the chamber will rise = flooding.

12. 1RESTLESSNATIVE

1RESTLESSNATIVE Astrea Snail

I just bought a used one of these that and had problems getting it started. My question is, it seemed to make a bunch of noise so I took the pump apart to see what all the commotion was all about. Is the white portion of the impeller free spin completely on the shaft of the magnet assy? It seems that this is a fail safe clutching deal like there is some kind of tab in there that keeps it engaged but will disengage if something crawled in there. It does not seem to stay engaged to the magnet and shaft assy in either the forward or rearward position on the shaft. I am only talking a fraction of an inch here in free play. I put a tiny drop of superglue on the tip of the white portion to keep it engaged and turning. I could put my finger in the outlet while running and make it disengage easily. This is before I glued it. Is this assembly broken and needing replaced?
    It is currently running and making bubbles and has the fan style blades. Is the mod for this a needle wheel upgrade? any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...