octopus NW-150 skimmer help me please!!!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by BluePhish, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

so i had a thread last week about what skimmer to buy. i ended up due to space with a reef octo nw 150 the newest split cup version. i Am already about to throw it out THE WINDOW AND DRIVE OVER IT WITH MY CAR. maybe i just have little patience for friggin skimmers anymore, and saltwater equipment in general!!

i tried to chill during the breaking in. but 6 days now in my sps tank with no fin skimmate its been running in my sump (60 gal display/15 gal sump)now for 6 days. and has not pulled a single drop of skim. i know my tank is loaded with doc its gotta be now.!

i mean its not making any foam wet or dry.i expected by now to get a lil foam action in the neck, maybe not a lot in the cup yet, but come on this is bull not even a few oily bubbles just white fizz. i had it in 10.5"of water, my lfs said try less water in the sump so instead i raised it up on stilts so its in about 8 inches of water.

do i just wait longer, 6 days goin on 7 seems like plenty for a break in!

thinking i was doin something good getting a new bigger skimmer for my sps. they were looking amazing with my css 65(moded to recirculate)and now are starting to show there is alot of crap in the water.

these are the things that make me want to sell my tank.

please help me understand what i need to do to get this thing skimming,what can i check for?

be for i but my foot threw my sump.!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

I hope you find an answer because I have been running my NW 110 for 5-6 days now and not a sign of any foam yet, but the skimmer I replaced it with was doing the job. Surely it shouldn't take weeks.

4. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I just(like lastnight) put one of these in, mine is doing great, pulling wet foam now, but I adjusted the raiser tube so it would, as I was running a crappy Sea Clone prior to this. Mine is in about 7 or 8 inches of water in my sump, and I just plugged it up and adjusted the raiser tube on it and away it went. I hope this helps guys.

5. BluePhish

lol oh boy .....haha ha

no this is not funny.

i seen the 150 running on a 250 gal acan exclusive tank before i purchased it. and it was def working on that. so i do not know whats up. i am about to contact the lfs owner who was running it on the 250 , see if he has any suggestions. hopefully! i will let you know.

a week is the longest i have read for people to get foam, maybe it comes really greased up or something. that is also not a good thing.lol

6. BluePhish

lol no not really honestly it made me feel worse thanks.!lol

can u get a pic of the skimmate or the skimmer setup all together? pleassseee karma karma karma!

7. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Plankton

This might sound dumb...but, I have one of those skimmers and it wasn't making any bubbles at all. It was just making surging sounds, like it was trying to pump but couldn't get good suction or prime itself. I blew air down the small intake hose and it started working...lol. I also just learned that the water level should be just below the removable cup. I had my level at the bottom of the cone. Allot of the skimmate gathered there on top of the cone instead of in the cup. We run a different skimmer now, but I plan to use the 150 again, now that I know how to run it. The instructions really suck!

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

lol instructions. they do not come with any lol

yeah i figured that out too with the pump took me like 2 hrs. and a few patches of hair.

10. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Plankton

If I had hair

good point, no instruction.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Hop onto UTube and see if you can find and instructional video there. I bought a Rio NanoSkimmer with no instructions. Couldn't figure it out. Tried everything I know. Then I thought UTUBE!!!! Guess what I found? An instructional video. Go for that and see what you can find.

Otherwise, call the company or do what you yourself suggested and go the LFS and see how they have theirs adjusted.

12. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said I have the level in mine high so it will "wet" skimm. I want all the crap out of mine, my seaclone didnt get out. Hope this helps guys

1 person likes this.