octopus at my LFS

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by leighton1245, Apr 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

i heard on a TV show that some species in the wild males live 10 years and females live 1 ... not in captivity and i don't know what species it was .

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

species of giant atlantic or pacific octopuses may live to that, but now way the small species we keep in captivity.

4. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

I wonder why they have such short lives as they are so intelligent?

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I don't think life span has anything to do with intelligence (some cases maybe) I think it has more to do with that it reaches sexual maturity quick breeds then dies. That's the purpose of all species isn't it? Survive long enough to pass on it's genetic material. Cephlopods just found a way to do it faster.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

Id think bc they grow so quick.and being so smart isn't always a good thing ;)

I had an octopus in a 29 biocube for roughly a yr. The tank was extremely octoproofed.I put mesh on all the inputs and outputs aswell as continuing the rear waill all the way upto the hood.

Temperature is a tricky situation. Cooler temps generally result in a longer less active life where as warmer temps result in a shorter more active life.

To own an octo means u really love them.most species will only be out a short time each day.they like to hide

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For anyone willing to take on the responsibility, my recommendation is the California Two Spot, (Bimanc). It is the hardiest octopi I have ever kept, does ok with temps in the upper 70's. Very interactive for the most part. Octopi have different personalities but I found the California Two Spot to be the most out going.

Look for young specimens in the spring anytime from April to June.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

While the above may be true, many insects live longer then octo's- I still wonder why this is, has the been any research into why this is?

Most sea life lives much longer- I just find it odd they do not have a longer life span- considering their attributes.

Do they have an immune system?

10. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I believe so, not a very good 1 they are susceptible to bacterial infections if they get injured

11. prototyp3

prototyp3 Plankton

Probably for the best, as it sounds like they could take over the world if given more time to live and coordinate their efforts.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nature works in odd ways. They've adapted to become more intelligent due to their short life span (at least that's the theory on the documentary I watched). They actually induce them to do tricks so see how quickly they learn. Additionally, an octopus can watch another octopus do a trick one time and then when they are put into the experiment, they already know how to do it. BTW, they have 9 brains. One in each arm and the main one in their head. Here's more info.....octopus intelligence video - Google Search

Their shortened life-span isn't due to a lack of an immune system....that's just their life cycle. In fact, once they get to a certain age, they'll go through senescence (basically Alzheimer's disease) and when this is your pet, it's heartbreaking to go through that process with them knowing they are near the end of their life.