octopus 1000 HOB

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Anthony Danta, Feb 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

set up my skimmer after work today for the first 30-45 min it skimmed and produced some into the collection cup but now the bubbles are barely getting into the neck is this normal for breaking in??? second question is the little foam rings they give for the outlet should i be using those? thanks in advance and sorry for all these questions

2. Click Here!

3. Anthony Danta

Anthony Danta Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

also the inlet is about 1.5"-2" below the surface will this be effective if i remove the skimmer and cut off some pvc i could get it to be about 1/4"-1/2" from the surface may seem like a stupid question but i don't wanna cut it unless it is neccisarry

4. Salt addicted

Salt addicted Plankton

Yes, it's normal . I use the outlet rings , cuts down on microbubbles considerably . No need to cut the inlet , still skims the surface of my 20l .

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it can take up to 2 weeks for a skimmer to break in. I would use the rings as addicted said, it cuts down on microbubbles and help strain out large particles of detitrus (sp). I wouldn't modify the inlet either.