OCReef picks up Orphek PR-156 LED Lamp

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

For you ahead-of-the-curve types that read all the blogs you will be happy to hear that 3reef sponsor OCReef has just picked up the exciting new Orphek PR-156 LED lamp as a USA distributor. For the rest of us, here is a quick breakdown - an LED lamp 2 years in the making, completely engineered in house* down to the diodes by Orphek with high quality parts that achieves incredibly high CRI and PAR numbers - PAR averaging 275 at 48" with peaks up to 380. Nuts. All that and more for [STRIKE]$660[/STRIKE]. (Just went up to $700) Wait did I mean $3000? No I didn't. [STRIKE]$660[/STRIKE]. (See above) Link to a great, detailed review below. Available now at OCReef.

Orphek Power Reef-156 Aquarium LED Lighting System

Detailed Description:

Orphek Power Reef is exclusively developed for hard corals reef aquariums. Designed with a combination of white and blue Power LED's that are controlled by the built-in timers. Designed with resistant stainless steel with a corsica coating and acrylic materials, it is completely sealed not allowing any passage of water and protected against rust, shock and vibration. With enough PAR output to keep SPS on the bottom of a 48" deep reef tank, this is the first (and only) full spectrum LED light designed for hobbyists with deeper reef aquariums, where previously 250 watt or 400 watt metal halides were the only lighting options available.

Orphek uses two high quality digital timers with battery backup. One timer to control daylight, and one timer to control the moonlight. Each one of them having a 16 memory programmable digital LCD display, with the format hour/day/week. This way reef hobbyists using more than one Orphek Light Solution can simulate sunrise and sunset.

The Orphek Power Reef aquarium led lighting system uses an advanced internal built-in heat dissipation system including a heat-sink with a plurality of cavities, totally sealed, suitable for heat dissipation; and with the quiet built-in fan makes these LED's run very cool (cool to the touch), making these LED's function significantly well past the usual 50,000 hour operating time. It works quietly and it is environmental friendly. It doesn't make the temperature of the aquarium go up, therefore typically there is no need for other heat-removal equipment.

Features:
    • Enclosure is made of stainless steel with a corsica coating, that is more durable and longer lasting than aluminum.
    • Input voltage AC 100V-240V 50/60Hz
    • Power:120w
    • LED Qty: 60pcs combines ~76% of White LEDS and ~23% of Blue LED's
    • Color: White Led 16.000k 160lm, (CRI) Color Rendering Index of 88
    • Wavelength: Blue 450nm - 460nm
    • (8000 lumens total) ~18,000 LUX
    • LED Electrical Parameters: P=2w I=500mA
    • Working environmental temperature - 20 to +50 c degree
    • Equal to MH/HPS light 250w-400w
    Dimensions:
    • Length: 24 inch x Width 6.1 inch x Height 2.0 inch
    • Total package weight:~10KG,~22lb
    • Hang on kit (fixture) included
    • Two built in timers included
    • Power supply is also ISO 9001:2000 certified, ISO14001:2004 certified, UL certified, and CE certified. Safety approvals with ROHS, as the base standards to ensure high reliability, high efficiency (95%), high power factor (99%)
    PAR Test Measurements on a 24", 36", & 48" aquarium:
    • 48": average of 275, peak of 380
    • 36": average of 350, peak of 450
    • 24": average of 600, peak of 650
    Note: In tests of aquariums 24 inches deep, it has been recorded that one Orphek lighting unit could be used for every 36-40 inches in length, and 24-30 inches in width to provide sufficient reef tank lighting. Furthermore the PR-156 is so bright it can be hung quite far from the surface, increasing the spread in a shallow 24 inch deep reef tank.

Orphek PR-156 available now at OCReef:
    Aquarium Reef & Pond Supplies - OCReef.com

A fantastic, detailed review at Captive-Aquatics:

Orphek PR-156 Reef Aquarium LED Light Review - Captive Aquatics: The Freshwater, Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Blog

Orphek Web site:
    orphek aquarium led lighting

*The only exception - the timers were not made in-house - they are very nice though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Matt,
    I only have one question . . . how do I become you!?!?!

HAAHAH

I am uber jealous of the career path you have chosen!!!

Not to mention that you do an awesome job at it!!!!;D

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

lol. Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Hey I forgot to mention - the Captive-Aquatics review makes an interesting argument for non-dimmable LEDs - be sure to check it out..

matt

5. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

I can see how coral wouldn't get any growth benefit from a dawn and dusk cycle but a diode that fails faster by being under driven does not make much sense to me.

Looks like a cool light.

6. silverwolf72

silverwolf72 Skunk Shrimp

Very nice, I just can't get past needing to spend $1400 to cover a 48" tank

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Look at it this way you have much less wattage used to run the lights, 50000 hours per bulb before replacement, less heat, no chiller so I would say over the long haul you will save money, most likely a fair chunk.

8. Click Here!

9. Elliott

Elliott Astrea Snail

can these fixtures be mounted inside a ventilated canopy?

10. kethomps

kethomps Plankton

I ran across your forum during my research for LED fixtures. I was running an Aquamedic 6 ft 3X250MH and 4-T5 fixture for years but I was tired of the heat, cost, and fire hazard (the end caps were constantly overheating). I also had to move the fixture 1 foot above the tank because my fish splashed the MH glass protectors causing the glass to break.
    I purchased an Ecoxotic panorama fixture for my tank but I am not convinced I want to add additional fixtures due to the low par results. So, I can move this fixture to a frag tank. The Orphek fixtures are very intriguing but the company doesn't have much history. I know there is risk in any purchase as it seems companies are folding so quickly these days.

In addition to solving the heat and electrical bill issue, I would like to solve the problem of lights in my eyes as I'm watching tv. The tank is 240g on a custom tank, sitting 66 inches high.

So, are these fixtures for real? Any ideas on company funding and the possibility they can follow through on their one year guarantee? How close to the water can I hang the fixture? 2-3 inches above would be perfect!

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Also, I would like to ask about the lifetime of these LED's. Are they replaceable after that?

I have a 55 gallon tank. Being that I would need two it's a little expensive.... That doesn't mean I don't want them... of course I do, they look and apparently perform very good. Still it would be expensive for 2 of them to cover my whole tank.

The idea of a lower electric bill is definitely appealing, but if I can only use this light for 2 years due to the LED's life span and then I need to throw it away and buy another one, it doesn't make much sense.
    So... again I come down to this question: How long could you use this bubls with todays sps tanks lighting requirements?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I would think so if not too cramped. Shoot an email to Orphek to be sure.

Valid point about lack of history here. I don't think anyone can answer whether these are for real without using them, but they appear to be very promising from the review given by the tester at Captive Aquatics. As for 2-3 inches over the water, the diagrams they show have them higher and state these are for deep tanks. I can't answer that, especially not knowing the dimensions of your tank, but I believe they are meant to be higher than that for better spread. Thanks for joining 3reef! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Again. Hard to say but 50,000 hours at 8 hours a day a lot longer than 2 years. The review on this specific lamp indicates that the quality of the components would result in a longer life than even that.

For general, non-Orphek, LED discussions, please check out some of these threads:
    3reef Forums - Threads Tagged with led

matt