ocellaris clow fry plans /ideas

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by fragginawsome, Jan 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fragginawsome

fragginawsome Skunk Shrimp

• 10 gallon
    • 10 fake rubber anenomes (optoinal)
    • rio nano protien skimmer (optoinal)
    • light
    • screen to cover up your rio nnano intake so they dont get sucked
    • live rock
    • live sand or gravel (optoinal)
    • mangrove for additoinal filtration (optoinal)

2. Click Here!

3. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

Hi and welcome - a 10g tank is good for approximately the first 18 days of growth if you have any luck keeping your larvae alive to that point you will want to move them before too much longer. The tank size is perfect for rearing the larvae as it's small enough for the fry to find rotifers without too much trouble but once they start getting past 3 weeks of age the tank simply does not have the water volume you'd need to offset the ammonia that will build up from the number of fry and frequency of feeding.

So... to your list...

10g - great for the first 3 weeks.
    Fake rubber nems - no - not in the larvae tank. They'll just get in the way of daily water changes and tank cleaning.
    Skimmer - don't waste your money - not for the larvae tank - your grow out should have a good high quality skimmer.
    Screen - no skimmer - no screen
    Live rock not in the 10g - no filtration in the larvae tank - that's accomplished with frequent water changes - in the grow out it's fine - I thought it was a pain in the butt due to the high volume of feeding - most breeders use bio balls that can be cleaned regularly.
    Live sand / gravel no and no - bare bottom is all you want.
    mangrove - not in the 10g but possibly in the grow out system.

Again the 10 is just a hatching tank to get the fry through meta - you will want think about the next step. I hatch in 4 10g tanks and at 3 weeks my fry move to a 200g grow out system. which is still too small and I'm working on a 800g system this summer.

If you are going to do it for fun you can probably set up a 40 bdr with a sump for a grow out - you'll just have to wait a while between hatches. Ocellaris juvi's typically take 4 - 6 months to get to marketable size, depending on water conditions, diet and space.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

LOL... I just noticed where you live - I used to fly RC Gliders off the hillside there are Seacliff a few years back.