Oceanic Salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Land_Fish, Feb 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I think I may have to go gor the Oceanic. It was that IO or Coralife. You guys seem to be in agreement. Now I am going through the sump or not to sump questions... [smiley=worried.gif]
    Now it is starting to get into the fun stuff 8)

2. Click Here!

3. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I was counting on the fact that the salt will fix any bacterial problems as long as I just make enough top out and changing water for a few days.

4. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

Go with the sump and the oceanic salt and you will be happy. Stay away from coralife salt. I had pretty bad results with it and Red Sea was pretty bad as well.

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Thanks for the input captivereefs. Fortunately I am still in the planning stages of this tank so I can play with designing a sump with some of the existing stuff that I have on hand. I think from what is being said that the Oceanic will be readily available. It is a new product after all.

6. captivereefs

captivereefs Feather Duster

I know a guy that has an awesome custom sump he built; it is unused. Someone backed out of a deal on him. I can see what he wants for it and maybe put you in touch with him. He is in indiana

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I did not stay with it but from all the forums I go to no one has said anything negative about it.

If I ever tear down and start over I will be designing a sump fug with a 55 gallon tank.

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

What size is the sump? Or if you don't know tell him to send me an email. I do have a 20gal tank laying around and I'm good with DIY. But if the price is right...couldn't hurt to find out.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=dx7fd2 link=board=Salt;num=1080587136;start=15#16 date=05/29/04 at 13:26:00]What size is the sump? Or if you don't know tell him to send me an email. I do have a 20gal tank laying around and I'm good with DIY. But if the price is right...couldn't hurt to find out.[/quote]

Darin? this was for you I think.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

We tested 9 samples of Oceanic salts. Calcium varied from 405 ppm to 715 ppm.

All samples gave off a slight odor. Same odor as found in IO... however Oceanic's odor was less.

No odor when mixed side by side, using the same RO water with: Coral Marine, BIO-SEA, Marine Environment, Tropic Marin.

Oceanic salts are sold underweight. Their 50 gallon size weighs 14.5 pounds. Should be 15 pounds. Their 50 gallon size will make 50 gallons of solution, but at a SG of 1.019 @77F/25C.

Oceanic salt mixes about the same rate as the other salts indicated. However, all samples of Oceanic mixed to a slightly milky solution vs. the other brands.

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I use Oceanic salt mix and I am very pleased with it. It mixes fast and clears up much faster than other salt mixes I have used in the past.
    I mixed 50 gallons in my 75 gallon tank when I first set it up and I used the 1/2 cup per gallon or .29lbs per gallon per recommendation on the container with a temp of 80f and I ended up with an sg of 1.023
    The weight of the salt was 26.1lbs and that is for a mix of 90 gallons 26.1lbs/90gal=.29lb per gallon (no problem there )
    And I didn't notice an Odor at all ;) :).................. John