Oceanic salt and Calcium

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Black_Raven, Mar 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

when i was using oceanic i always had 500 or above calcium without dosing a thing. i switched to salinity and cal levels are good even with using kalk. but i noticed with salinity i get a cloudy haze after i do a water change, even after letting the fresh salt water sit for 24 hours before putting it into the tank.... i never noticed that with with oceanic. i will be trying tropic marin next.
    i think if i go back to oceanic i might have a problem with dosing kalk. i dose kalk to keep a stable ph

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Alk was crud with oceanic when i used it, but the calcium was great.

For a good salt, look into the new Red Sea Coral Pro. You wont be disappointed.

Sent from a phone.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

do you get what looks like a salt haze on your glass after a water change? also do you dose kalk? wondering what red seas calcium level is like. and if it wont get to high using kalk

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

RSCP calcium is 450, alk 12.2, mag 1340. I've tested it on batches, and they're up pretty close to Red Sea's official numbers, within a very small margin.

I've never gotten the haze in my tank, only in the bucket if I let it mix for a very long time (3+ days). It's likely precipitate, but whatever. The stuff is meant for water changes, not to fill your tank initially. So, the numbers are jacked under the assumption that doing the water change is going to keep them high without dosing for a lower demand tank, or help you keep up in a high demand tank.

I don't dose kalk. I dose a boatload of 2-part.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes this haze happens in the bucket. its on the bucket but the water looks clear. but than when i add it to the tank it stirs it and i get it in the tank