Oceanic salt and Calcium

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Black_Raven, Mar 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I recently bought some Oceanic Salt ( got suckered in by the price) and now my Calcium levels are running high at 550. Anyone else have this problem with this salt?

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I guess it depends on the lot number ?? I use it and do NOT have this problem. It usually comes out around 440ppm.

4. chris-miranda

chris-miranda Astrea Snail

do a search on this salt there has been quite a few complaints about this salt the lack of quality control on there salt mixes

5. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

perfect salt no problems better then any other salt in my mind have used 4 other salts no comparision

6. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

this is the only salt i use. never had any problems with it.

7. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

There was a bad batch that got out to the market before and there was a riot about it. Lots of people lost livestock after using it.

As of now, the people who use it from the begining has no problem with it, but the some people complaints about it are the one who switch from another brand.

That being said, I also use it and I have no problem with. I used it from the beginning.:)

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

My calcium level is high also (600mg/l) however I use Kent as well as Oceanic Salt usually depending on sale price. You shouldn't be concerned with that level of calcium especially if your tank is doing fine. Check your other water parameters like phosphate, alkalinity, magnesium, hardness and ph. Are you supplementing with Kalkwasser or another calcium product?If you want to lower the calcium level, just stop adding calcium for a little while so the level will go down. Or you may want to try a different brand of sea salt.

10. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but wow this Oceanic has a metric ton of calcium in it. My tank normally runs about 440 after a 25% water change I'm at 460 so I tested my RO/DI water and one of the 5 gallon buckets of water I just mixed with Oceanic salt for my next change.

The RO/DI water was around 360, but the mix was over 550.

Has anyone else had this problem recently with this mix?

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Er, what? No it wasn't. RODI water should test 0 for everything.

Oceanic has high calcium, and usually has low alk, though.

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I use Oceanic, and it has crazy high calcium. It is so high I can't even get a number, because it's off the charts!