Oceanic 75 gal overflow question

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by reefer3, Feb 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

I have a blue line 100 pump in the basement pushing 15 ft vertically and 30 ft horizontally....I have run 2" pvc for the return, but the tank is only 1" coming out. I have 1" going back to the tank, which then switches to 3/4" at the tank and up to the loc line. I have the pump valved 1/2 way off, my question is can or should I modify the overflow box, as this is the problem....the slotted holes will only take so much, I think the 1" to 2" return pipe will take the flow, but not sure. How would I modify this (slots bigger, more holes, etc) not sure, should i do anything at all? Just looking to utilize what the pump will put out. Thanks

Derrick

2. Click Here!

3. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Does the system begin to overflow if you open up the valve? I have a very similar problem.....

4. vanpyre

vanpyre Flamingo Tongue

i have a smaller scale, you can enlarge the holes bit by bit and turn up the return till the flow regulates its self it can take a while but, the old saying about urnover rates!!

5. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

Of

yeah it will over flow first because the over flow can't take the flow

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Why do you need that much flow??? Anything more than what your skimmer can process is just wasted energy.

I was concerned about the same thing with my 90g mega overflow. I enlarged all my piping, and went over the BH fittings instead of inside. My 9.5 now puts out way more flow than I need. Throttled it back a bit and still have more than I used to.

The overflow is only rated by how much a 1" BH fitting will flow. There is a rating that so many linear inches of grate will flow "X" amount of water. But you will still be limited by the 1" bulk head fitting.

It sounds like you have already got it doing quite a bit. For mine, I put a tee at the top of my return pipe, and ran line lock to both sides of the tank. I simply raised both line locks to allow more water through the knock outs underneath them. I have plenty of overflow.

Bottom line is that I thought about doing the same as you, but was very hesitant about hacking up my grate. That is sort of a permanent thing.

7. reefer3

reefer3 Astrea Snail

Thanks for the input, i did some looking around myself and i don't think i'm going to modify anything. Thanks to all.

Derrick