OC Clown not eating

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nanomania, Mar 14, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

I was stating my opinion on it. I know a lot of people that use garlic and fish food company's add it to their food too. New life spectrum Thera+A has garlic in it and it's one of the top pellet foods I've heard of people using. Agree to disagree but everyone has an opinion ☺️

nanomania likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I never said I had a problem with your opinion? I'm giving my advice which is what we do here, try to help. Don't take it personal when someone disagrees, it's how we all learn in this amazing hobby. I use NLS and according to the rep they use garlic as a immune booster but it's speculation and they don't use it to get a fish to eat which was my point.

Piano10 and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Probably water parameters issue. Also I would still add more live rock as stated before.

cody3819 and DSC reef like this.
  5. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Well guys as far as i know, garlic jus makes them eat stuff. I do o how or why, but some say they make them feel hungry or maybe they like the taste/smell of it. Long back in my old setup, my clownz has few white spots, they disappeared within 2 days when i started feeding them garlic juice with very tiny garlic bits. I dont know why, but tht did happen. Anyways, one clown eats algaemax and thera A pellets, other only eats mysis. Now i guess both are healthy, so im planni to start feeding mysis every 2 to 3 days, n try feeding some pellets. Hopefully it eats.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

:( never heard of clowns to not eat - mine eats fish poo and algaes floating around from tangs dinner and basically everything floating in the tank.
    Try out more types of food (whatever is available in shops there). Also I am doing a special food for my fishes - buy from grocery store fresh clams, take out the meat from them and froze it. Then, once frozen cut them in paper thick slices and eventually break everything in small parts for fishes to be able to ingest. Clams have waaay higher nutrition than frozen shrimps. Frozen shrimps are very tasty for fishes, but have almost nothing to offer as nutrition.
    This clams based food I learned back when I tried to keep a copperband alive - all fishes in tank loved this food, but not the copperband :confused:
    I know nothing about what fish food is available in India, but you may look into freshwater frozen food (bloodworms, blackworms) or even dried foods (shrimps, worms, etc). My daughter have a freshwater tank and sometimes I steal some of her food to give to the salty fishes. It is not ideal, but is just to add some new taste into tank. Most of saltwater fishes eats well bloodworms, but only few mosquito larvaes :)
    For garlic - I red many forums where this seems to be miracle of fish food, but also there are studies around with long term effects on fishes digestive system.

nanomania likes this.
  7. nanomania

But iv heard bloodworms are no good for marine fishes... well finally today it ate few pellets.. but the problem is they dont pickup from the bottom. So plannin to get a yellow watchman goby asap.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. dacianb

:) then you are on right track. No, they will never eat from bottom. Lot of marine fishes dont eat from bottom - this is where clean up crews start their role. Few shrimps / crabs will clean up all food.
    Or just leave the flow ON during feeding and try flakes as they float a lot - so they can catch everything.

10. dacianb

Bloodworms are not recommended because are not what a sw fish eats naturally, but still better bloodworms than nothing ;)

nanomania likes this.
  11. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

I'm glad they started eating. Watchman gobies are funny to watch, they always look like they're mad lol :)

nanomania likes this.
  12. nanomania

Lol.. im adding fishes according to its colour and job...

Lovemyreef2015 and dacianb like this.