nVladik's 75G Rimless

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by nvladik, Sep 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Hi all. I had a planted tank that I got tired off, so I decided to turn it into a SW setup. It will be a long process as I am not in a rush, but I figured I will start a build thread so I can bounce some ideas off of the forum. I am also looking for parts and since I don't have enough experience/posts I can't access the marketplace forums, but if anyone has items that my fit my need please don't hesitate to send a PM.

Tank: My tank I am going to use is a DeepBlue 75G rimless tank, not drilled and no overflow.
    Stand: I made a custom cherry stand for it. Stand is still missing doors, this is the first step of the project I am looking to finish over the next two weeks.

Filtration:
    Trigger Systems Ruby 30, Eheim 1260 (Will mod to allow more flow)

Protein Skimmer:
    Reef Octopus INT-150
    Lighting: 2x AI 26 lights 12" above surface, separated 14"
    RODI: 100 gpd 5-stage eBay RODI
    Controller: TBD

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Pics of the old setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Quick update on the build. Plan for this week is to finish construction of the doors for the stand and to start poly application. Rock and Protein Skimmer are here! Will try to add some pictures later on.

Here's a obstacle I am currently on. The tank is very close to the wall, and I would rather not drill it. Are there nice looking HOB overflow boxes that will fit in the tight space? Maybe something with 2x 3/4 bulkheads?

5. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

10/6 Update - Doors are build and sanded. Starting poly application today as it's getting cold already, I am starting to run out of time. Plan is to do 3 coats of time permits before temps drop bellow 40 for good.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

More pictures, please?

What type of fish are going in?

It looks awesome, nice choice on the branch.

7. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

The pictures are of the old freshwater setup, I broke it down already while rebuilding everything in preparation for SW. Will post a picture of the doors drying after first coat in the next reply...

8. Click Here!

9. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

[​IMG]

First door, first coat drying in the garage.

Billme likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

11. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Thanks oldfishkeeper.

Quick question for the guys and gals with experience. I have a used sump that I got for a very nice price, it has some calcium residue around the seams that I would like to clean off. I tried brushing it off, but that didn't do much. I read that vinegar is a good way to go, but it's a 30 gallon sump - 30 gallons of vinegar won't be pretty. How else can I get the job done?

12. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

lay your sump on it's side, lay a layer or two of towels flat on the bottom. Then pour your vinegar onto the towels until they are pretty wet. Then you can soak them for an hour or two and then it should come up easier. Then lay it on it's next side, then repeat.