Nutri-SeaWater

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NutsnBolts, Feb 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NutsnBolts

NutsnBolts Plankton

I am about to start up my JBJ Nano 28 I was wondering if there was any benefit to putting in one jug of Nutri-Seawater or if it was a waste unless I was going to fill the entire tank with it?

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I'd think it would be a waste if your not going to fill the whole tank with it

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

It looks like very pricy snake oil to me ($10/gal!! :eek:).

For starters, bacteria cannot survive without a food source; even the colonies that already exist in our tanks grow and shrink exponentially with the addition or removal of bioload. Furthermore, they colonize on rocks, etc., not in the water.

Second, if UV, ozone, or carbon altered seawater chemistry, less than 1% of marine aquariums since the very beginning would've survived more than a few months. We used to run carbon in large amounts with no ill effect.

Lastly, I don't trust anyone who claims to add anything to NSW to make it "better". If I want chemical water, I'll use Instant Ocean (a very good product for artificial seawater, btw).

If you want NSW, get Petco Real Ocean Water (Catalina). That's what I use with excellent results.

1 person likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Mr bill, you use petco real ocean water? I always thought that to be a waste since it contains things we try so hard to remove. I've switched back to reef crystals since red sea coral pro has been less than satisfying. Maybe I'll give it a go since my wife is a manager there.

6. Rob&Gab

Rob&Gab Astrea Snail

Nutri-SeaWater we use it everytime we do a waterchange we buy about 10-15 boxes of them every 2 weeks. spent thousands already lol. soon im gonna start mixing my own salt. but i dont think you get any benefit from it.

7. Mr. Bill

Don't believe forum rumors. Catalina Water Company is one of the best (if not the best) suppliers of purified natural seawater in the world. :)

Aquarium Salt Water | Real Ocean Saltwater | Commercial Saltwater | Buy Saltwater

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Carbon as Mr. B has been used for many years.Is it safe??Maybe...lol
    We know very little about how ozone interacts with alot of things.Some household chemicals when combined with ozone can be very scary.:(

Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency

Not reef related but I wouldn't want a generator in my house.lol

I really don't know much about Catalina NSW. IME anything harvested naturally is going to have changes in chemistry and composition.I am not sure how Catalina is batch testing or harvesting but if they have been around 25 years they must have a pretty good idea what they are doing.At least you would hope.;)

Whatever "imbalances/deficiencies" are created by synthetic salts (if any)are obviously tolerated by our animals. I know my salt (IO) has been batch tested everytime .The facility is world class and because I know I can trust the salt; I make my own water . 8);

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

RSCP is a naturally harvested salt.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I had a few batches of coral pro that were off in params and never mixed clear. Also after a day there was brown matter in the bucket. Reef crystals is cheaper and has always been spot on everytime I test. The first two buckets of coral pro were great but after that there too many inconsistencies that made me uncomfortable.

12. Mr. Bill

Exactly ^^

True. However, once dehydrated, some components don't always remix properly.

If I lived near the ocean, I'd collect my own NSW. I've done it before, and I know a few others that still do (at least one has done so for several decades with the same tank! :eek:) with no problems at all. However, I will refrain from bashing chemical water. As Vinny stated, obviously our pets can tolerate the discrepancies. :D