Nuked rock, where from here.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by diverdan, Feb 27, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Hey everyone. I am in the process of nuking 30lb of live rock to add to my established 120g with approximately 115lbs of lr. I am in the process of nuking it right now and I was just curious what to do after you dry it out. All the threads end with drying it out. After I dry it out should ? That's where I am. Do I begin to cure it? (Already live rock in my system) do I let it sit in ro/di water. Do I treat it as dry rock and just rinse it off and add it?
    Thanks for all the help.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm interested in this response as well. May I ask what exactly you did to "nuke" it?

4. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

It depends on your BioLoad. If you are increasing your BioLoad and don't want to have a mini cycle take the time to cure it, but if you are leaving the BioLoad the way it is and just adding more rock for looks or for future increase just add the rock and let it cure in the DT.

Since it has already been nuked there should be no additional cycle as long as the rocks you have can handle the BioLoad that is in there already.

5. diverdan

Bleach water for 3 days, freshwater for 3 days, baking soda freshwater for 3 days and 2 weeks out to dry. This is the receipt on Oggy's page.
    I am only on day 5 and it is sitting in a tub of di water with a nano power head for circulation.

Like I said in my "kill it or add it live" thread, I just want to do this right and am in no rush to get this in my tank. Yes I would love it in there right now but it is not worth rushing an jepordizing everything I've work so hard for.

6. diverdan

Ok, that sounds good. The rock in there I know can handle the bio load. I do want to add chromis and a ywg. I did want to add at the same time so the change of scenery would lessen any potential aggression.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

If you're following that recipe, and it dries out for 2 weeks, then I'd say given the additional information -you should be able to just add it.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

Thank you. Those were my thought I just didn't know what others have done after they nuked their rock.

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Even after you nuke and dry it, there are still the (Bodies) left in the rock....Yes they are dead, but after you put it in the tank, they will rot and cause a mini-cycle...believe me, I just did it. You can either "cure" it in a separate container, and check the readings, or just add it, and hope that your established rock can handle the bioload. I just added it, and had a very small cycle with no problems.

11. diverdan

What if I shake the rock really hard, will all the dead bodies come out?

12. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Let the bodys hit the floor, Let the bodys hit the floor..:drummer: