Unresolved Nudi branch?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Carrielovesk9s, Dec 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Carrielovesk9s

Carrielovesk9s Plankton

This tank has been set up for over a year and this morning we had a major catastrophe. 4 shrimp & 2 tangs dead so far. At least 50 micro brittle stars have died thru the day. Thank god we have 2 tanks & transferred the remaining fish. However, tonight after the lights were off I noticed this guy, he's about 2 inches long & 3/4 inch wide. At 1st I thought it was an olive snail who lost its shell, but idk what it is! Thank you!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356243374.465356.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356243407.074128.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356243437.928550.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356243491.671624.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

From the pics it looks like it died in the tank. If not, something was messing with it and it went into defense mode. Just curious, what were your parameters after the die off if you don't mind?

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

That my friend is a polyclad flatworm, the most efficient killer on earth.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

some people will pay big bucks for that nasty critter. people keep them like some people keep mantis shrimp

Of course im right ryan!

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah Alex is right.

It is the dreaded polyclad FW. They can be snail eaters and some say coral eaters, probably opportunistic.

I think they are cool and boy can they move fast.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Is it the death of the worm that made the fish die? It doesn't say that it will cause death to fish?

10. Carrielovesk9s

Carrielovesk9s Plankton

It was still alive last night, but I think it's dead this am. Lost 2 more fish over night. Can a drop in exterior temp drop oxygen in the tank? In south Fl & had a pretty drastic cold front come thru, temps dropped 20-25 degrees from 1 nite to the next. Tank has a heater but not sure if it kicked on. Salinity was 1.03? I think & nitrates were red after 30 seconds. That's all the LFS tested for, also bought a grounding probe yesterday. The 2 remaining clowns r struggling

11. Carrielovesk9s

Carrielovesk9s Plankton

Watched the YouTube & that is definitely it! Haven't lost anything livestock to him, but maybe some coral (we didn't know what happened to it.) probably only came out cuz everything else is dying.

12. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

They are living animals! you really need to figure out why the things are dying and correct it for the sake of your remaining inhabitants.

What temp is your tank?! do you have a thermometer in there to monitor the temp? Also, get yourself some test kits, so you can test at home and do it frequently. Sounds like you are having some major issues, happening.