NSW After Rain - How Long To Wait?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, May 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 6, 80%]Good Luck, Buddy!!! Go Get Some Water!!![/glow]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'm back. What a story. This requires a new thread. I think I will call it 'I Swam for my Natural Sea Water.' heh.

Look for it in a few minutes. ;)

5. Apophis924

Apophis924 Astrea Snail

Hey Matt i would wait till one cycle of low and hide tide passes  then collect the water. Since you are using  NSW you might as well stay tuned to the tides to, maybe evena full moon run to get  water, sure to get lost of plankton to feed the tank then.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah you are right.

BUt yesterday I had enough and just set out to get some. I don't know for sure, but I think high tide was starting to come in while I was in the water, judging from how the waves seemed to get bigger and bigger! But I don't know for sure.

IDEALLY, I would have planned it with the tides, had a buddy with a boat, gone out way further, and had a test kit that wasn't expired and test the water.

But I didn't. What I did was certainly desperate, but I think the location was pretty good and the water
    should be alright. I'll get it tested.

It's a new setup, so consider the tank cycling.

I have 3 bottles left over for a couple water changes at least.

:)

7. visualscapes

visualscapes Plankton

Hey Matt,
    I'm stoked to hear about your collecting efforts!
    You are a major inspiration to me getting off my butt and collecting some NSW of my own. I think you waited plenty long enough after the rain to get it, and where you collected it is probably one of the cleanest places in California to do so. Good job, you da man!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Red, 3, 60%]Hey visualscapes,

WELCOME to 3Reef !!! We have a great community here and you have just become part of it !!! Glad to have you aboard !!!

Just one note, don't encourage Matt to do that again. I think we nearly lost him the first time; I'd hate to see him try to get out and do that again any time soon !!![/glow]​

[glow=Blue, 3, 60%]And, as a disclaimer, Matt is a trained professional. Please do not try anything that he has done at home. It could result in serious bodily injury, or even death.[/glow]​
    [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=loco.gif] [smiley=skull.gif] [smiley=loco.gif]​
    [glow=Black, 3, 60%]Again, GREAT to have you around, visualscapes!!![/glow]​
    [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif] [smiley=bouncylaugh.gif] [smiley=grin3.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif] [smiley=laugh5.gif] [smiley=laugh3.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laughing016.gif] [smiley=laughing015.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh5.gif] [smiley=laughcry.gif] [smiley=laugh3.gif] [smiley=laughing016.gif] [smiley=laughing015.gif] [smiley=laugh5.gif] [smiley=LolLolLolLol.gif] [smiley=Looking.gif] [smiley=party007.gif] [smiley=party014.gif] [smiley=victory.gif]​

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks visual. I tried to do my homework mapping it out. Thanks for the reassurance.

And ...

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

11. visualscapes

visualscapes Plankton

Thanks for the welcome guys,
    Wrassman don't worry, when Matt is ready for a water change he's gonna come out to my town, and we're gonna set him up much easier. Definitely no swimming will be involved! ;)

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Or if you'd like Matt, we can work out a deal to get your water from our place, our site and mine, both have found a home, so horse trading is more then welcome.