NSW After Rain - How Long To Wait?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, May 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Matt- get your damn water already, alright? I recieve water weekly, and the rain has had no effect on it. The pacific is a huge ocean and the amount of rain that we've had is NOTHING. The area you looked into has a major current that runs the entire west coast PLUS the tides in that area are major. The water is from the north coast, not much of anything is running off the shores and rivers. Sure there might be a little stuff in the water because of the rain (sediment from the rivers and munched up kelp), but its only 30g worth. Your only starting the cycle, a little extra stuff won't hurt it, it might help speed it along actually. Go get your water. Getting from shore is your best bet, why take the trouble to go out to sea? You'd have to get some one who knows the bay and has a ocean worthy boat as that passage under the golden gate is HARD CORE!!! I've spent many hours at sea and I wouldn't even think about pilotting a boat outa the bay. Ever watch an out going tide under the GG Bridge? Boats have to wait for outgoing tide to leave. Millions of gallons pass in and out of that mile wide passage.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Gresham link=board=General;num=1052182001;start=0#10 date=05/06/03 at 22:35:54]Matt- get your damn water already, alright?[/quote]

[smiley=laugh4.gif] I know how you feel. I got everything to start the tank now except a fresh test kit. Hey and what about those 15 gallon containers you said I can borrow? [smiley=wink3.gif] [smiley=yaknow.gif]

This will happen. Somehow. Soon too. :)

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Good luck Matt, keep us posted and share those pictures as you progress!

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Any time Matt, just over the 92 bridge in San Carlos. Maybe I can drop 1 off for Anne to bring to you. Her car is small, I don't know if 2 will fit. Will see though.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. You around this weekend? Maybe we can hook up.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Matt,

Just to throw another wrinkle in your plan and one of the reasons that I am not a firm believer of using NSW.
    Forgetting about chemical water parameters and assuming the NSW is perfect, what about all the algae and animal spores that exist in NSW that are not in ASW? In the first fill this wont matter much as they will die and become part of the start up cycle.

The problem comes with water changes. If you use NSW you will be introducing algae and other organisms that normally exist in a low nutrient environment to an environment that is many times richer and they will thrive and bloom.

Anyway, as to your question, I agree with Gresham ;D get on with it and don't be too concerned if it's been raining, it wont make any difference.

John

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well JohnO -

Like I told you earlier, I am setting out to do something different and learn new things. Since my experience with NSW is ZERO, I expect to learn a lot! ;D

matt

10. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Blue, 3, 80%]Hey Matt,

JohnO does bring up some valid points about the planktonic critters in the NSW. But, Dude you are going to have to get started sometime! If this is an experiment as you say, the lab is ready! Let's Go!!![/glow]

As you can tell, so many of us want to see you do this. Not just so you will have a tank; we want to see the same thing you do -- how is NSW going to behave as a medium for a marine/reef tank? Great experiment, Matt!!! Please, let's get started !!![smiley=laugh3.gif][smiley=laughing015.gif] [smiley=laughing016.gif]

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You got it! No one wants this more than me. :)

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well I just got 6 five gallon water bottles from work. Not waiting for the planets to align anymore.

I got my swim suit on. I am going now. Wish me luck! :)