NSW After Rain - How Long To Wait?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Matt Rogers, May 5, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well, I am getting pretty excited, I have nearly everything I need to start my 30 hex tank. :)

I decided, for better or worse, I was going all natural with my tanks. At least, as much that is possible. ;)

SO, the next step is to collect the salt water and sand. Some time ago I scouted out some pristine collection points up here in Northern California.

But its been raining a lot the past month.

The local waters are pretty stirred up.

I realize no one can really answer this with certainity but how long would you wait before collecting? A week, two weeks? More?

I was thinking 1-2 weeks, but it's just my hunch.

What do you think?
    [smiley=stare.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Matt,
    I would avoid colletion from beaches and close to shore. This is were all the pollution collects. It has been suggested that collection should be done 500-1000M off shore.
    Got a boat and a bucket on a string.

J

4. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Navy, 3, 90%]Hey Matt,

I guess if this was my tank, I'd wait at least 2 weeks. I say that because, in my opinion, there is a lot of crap in the rain. It can be acidic; it can have petroleum products in it; and it most certainly can have pesticides in it.

I would go as far out from the shoreline as possible to collect, too. But, I'm sure you are all over that.[/glow]

[glow=Maroon, 3, 90%]Are you going to do water changes and top-offs with NSW? How far do you live from the beach?

That is so cool. I wish I had access to NSW.[/glow]

That stuff beats the heck out of Instant Ocean. [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=biglaugh.gif] [smiley=biggrinbounce.gif] [smiley=party014.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

EDIT: This in response to Jakets -

Yeah, I know. I really don't want to swim with the sharks.  ;D

I am working on a boat angle. That and the containers I need have yet to be determined. But I won't let it slow me up.

Back to the question, how long should I wait after the rains?  [smiley=smug2.gif]

Wrassman - I live right up the hill from a beach on the bay. It's cool. I like to walk around at low tide and see what's new.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I am going to do water changes with NSW. Top off with RO. ;)

After it rains there is a lot of trash in the water and visibility is poor. Not sure about where I scouted out. It's about 40 minutes or less from where I live.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Matt,
    I live about 5 minutes from the ocean as well. But I never thought of getting my water from there. Vancouver is a major shipping harbour so I won't even swin in some places.
    Have you thought about collecting the water then letting is rest in the garage. The sediment would settle and you would have your water. you may even have something to feed your sand bed with. Or you could get Hotel style coffee filters to clear out the sediment.
    If you are going to use it I would just grab a pale of it now and see how fast the stuff settles. You can also do your water tests on it. If it doesn't work then you;ve wasted little time.

J

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Jakets -
    I am more worried about the effects from the rain and wondering how long to wait. A settling tank is a nice touch and I saw some on watertanks.com, but I don't have the coin yet. Everything else, let's just say I have faith. Faith in mother nature, faith in my plan, faith in the poly filter. ;D

So how long would you wait?

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

id wait two weeks, if u waited any more, it might rain again. if that happened, u might end up waiting for months. Must b cool living next to a beach!

SM

11. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I would take all my test kits and take samples of water as far out as I could walk at High Tide.
    I did this where I live, 9.9 miles from the beach.
    I took 3 sets of readings at different distances and the closer I came to shore the readings were not good enough for my tank.
    The furthest distance about 100 yards was good enough for my tank...
    So, take your test kits and you will determin the Water Quality, hehe...

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good info CMK! Interesting. :)