Now, I have a reef tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by bawest, Oct 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Thanks to tangster, now I officially have corals and an official reef tank.

I have 2 questions.... why do my pictures appear so much more green than real life? Why does live rock from the stores come in white and clean, but in out tanks, it turns dark?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] (LAST WEEK)

I guess I have another question. How do I get that green algae off my rocks?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

The green color in your pictures is coming from your flash reflecting light off of your tank lights.

The green algae that is on your rock should subside. Is this a fairly new tank?
    How often are you feeding? Where are your nitrates?

4. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

It's about 2-1/2 months old.... I had about 20 lbs of old live rock from my previous tank. I kept those rocks in a temp tank for about 2 months before I set this one up. I'm not feeding that much anymore. My anemone pretty much cleaned out my smaller fish.

5. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

At 2.5months there is no reason to be alarmed about the algae. With time and the tank becomes more stable that algae should subside to some extent.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Congrats on the new additions!!!!!

<~~~~I'm jealous!!!!! :Looking: :thumbs_up

7. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Thanks. Now if I can only keep everything living and growing, I'll be happy.

Reading up on some corals, it says that trace elements are required. What brand and type do you guys use?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Told you Tangster had some cool stuff. You will start to get coralline growing over the green after a while as long as you keep your parameters stable. I would highly recommed getting a PO4 reactor to keep your phosphates down. Believe me you don't want what happen to KOgle to happen in your tank, looked like he was growing a green afro stuff to sell. ;)
    Glad to see you can finally sit back and get enjoyment out of the tank. I'm just letting mine run for a while before I get anymore frags, going to add a couple more fish and then I am done. Give me a while to get things growing big enough to frag and I'll keep the promise and send you some.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Kent Essential Elements
    I add this about every two weeks because I don't do water changes.