Nova Extreme PRO T5HO or TEK LIGHT T5 Light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by RustyShakleford, Oct 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'm not sure what you are asking. I wouldn't modify the unit to add more cooling. The stock unit does a great job of ventilation drawing the air from one side and exhausting it out the other.

2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well with my unit being in a canopy I have drilled holes on the one side to let the fans push the air out however have done nothing on the other side thinking that there is no purpose for it since there are no fans should I drill that side as well to allow ventilation in? As it is now only about a 1/4 of an inch of a baffle between the fixture and the non-faned side.

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Aquactinic's also uses the same Miro IV aluminum that ATI uses.... Don't think either coats the Al with silver.... not sure why they would?

**Edit
    Looks like the ATI reflectors ARE silver coated... Don't remember seeing that last time I was on their site.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

IMO if you want to keep your fixture and tank cool the intake vents on the right side need to be able to suck up air directly from the outside and the exhaust vents on the left side need to blow it directly out. Maybe you can drill the holes in your canopy and build yourself little ducts between the fixture and the canopy.

6. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

If you're really concerned about the heat, you could put intake holes on one side and exit fans on the other. If it's still hot get another fan for the intake. That way you'd be sucking in cool air from the house and blowing out hot air that's run along the bulbs. I'd do that if I didn't hang mine.

7. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

That is what I was thinking I will just drill some holes on the other side of my canopy and let it work more effeciantly and if that doesn't work I can install fans to the canopy provideing they are shallow enough not to bump the fixture and they can pull cool air through the fixture.