Nova Extreme PRO T5HO or TEK LIGHT T5 Light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by RustyShakleford, Oct 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RustyShakleford

RustyShakleford Feather Duster

its going to be going on a 75 g and its about 18 inches deep, and i would like to keep lps sps and softies.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

4. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

Now you all have me thinkin about splurging on new lights.lol

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Actually, IMHO, the NEP's shield is critical to cooling. The intake vents are on the right side of the fixture. The fans are on the left. If the shield is in place the fans draw the air in from the right side and exhaust it on the left. This cools the entire length of the bulbs. If the shield is not in place you are essentially relying on convection cooling and you might as well disconnect the fans since they will just be drawing air from just above the tank rather than completely across the bulbs.

6. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

Alright guys, silly question but are all the NEPs high output?

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Yes. They use T5HO bulbs. They are not overdriven however.

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

The parabolic reflectors on the TEK are better than Nova's hard chines.

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Yes. When splash shields are meant to pe part of the cooling system(TX5 for example) they help with overall output... BUT like in the case of the TX5 if you take the shield off and test PAR the output will be greater at first but after about a half hour it will be back to where it was WITH shield on and even longer it will tend to drop below the output of the unit with the shield on... When I tested the NEP I waited a while and did not see that drop. Maybe I didn't wait long enough but that just gives me something else to test once I have time! :)

If you want a nice unit go with a Constellation, the 7 lamps will rock the tank and it is overall much better than both units mentiond combined.

11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I have the Nova Exterme Pro I have drilled holes for the fans but should I install fans on the otherside of the canopy to push the air through from out side? As for right now I just use what is in the fan and I have 3 fans on the back of the canopy pushing cooler air in.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The Tek doesn't have parabolic reflectors, the reflectors are individually contoured to each bulb. ATI fixtures do have parabolic reflectors, I also believe they are silver coated and made of Miro IV aluminum.