not sure what to do (another nopox thread)

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Swisswiss, Aug 6, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hello all,

sorry for creating yet another nopox thread but i would like to hear your thoughts and opinions. I have been using this stuff for about a month now and it has effectively droped my nitrates from 50ppm to 5, however i only recenty got my hands on a Po4 test and the results show 1ppm po4 (salifert). Im aiming for values of 0.03 po4 and zero no3.

my question is the following, I have already reduced the NOPOX dose from 20ml to 15 but i was wondering if i should add a phosphate remover as well (I have phosguard)? well more than a question I guess im looking for someone to remind me to stay on the path...

I realize it would be detrimental to the bacteria colonies im trying to feed if i took po4 away from them and im also aware that the po4 bacteria take a little more time to kick in than the no3 ones with NOPOX. but levels of 1ppm po4 freak me out... has/does anyone run these two products at the same time? could i perhaps use phosguard to "stab" my po4 values to about 0.05 and then let nopox do the rest?

as always thank you for your input

P.s my rocks are clearing out of any algae so im thinking the po4 "batteries" that were my rocks are gently running out fo juice (whoop whoop!!)

Corailline and zesty like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I haven't run them together. I would say though, don't freak out :) That number is only information and it's only part of the story.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I would continue with phosgaurd and dosing 15ml of nopox. I believe in time you'll achieve the results you want. Just don't remove the phosphate to quickly

zesty likes this.
  5. Swisswiss

thx for the input, i put some phosguard in yesterday and will let it run for 4 days. today is w.c/test day so ill keep you posted... i doubt my po4 has dropped already though

6. Swisswiss

alright the result are in and im rather pleased!! the tests were done after a 20 L. water change

temp. 27°c
    salinity: 1.025
    Ph: 8 (redsea)
    KH: 10.4 (redsea)
    Ca: 450 ppm (redsea)
    Mg: 1400 ppm (redsea)
    Po4: 0.5 ppm (salifert)
    No3: between 0 and 2 ppm (salifert)!!!!!

love NOPOX, think im going to let phosguard do its thing untill sunday then go back to active carbon