Not looking so hot

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so it's been 24hrs after my first attempt at feeding my bubble coral. Turns out i did a newbie mistake and forgot to thaw out the silversides before giving it to my bubble coral. My bubble has taken a drastic change in health, i have noticed the pieces of silversides around the bubble, probably spat it out. I have some before and after pictures, i just hope this is normal im getting really worried

Before at 7inches in lenght by 6 wide:
    [​IMG]
    about 2 hours after feeding
    [​IMG]
    24 hours after feeding
    [​IMG]

with me being new to the whole coral feeding thing i am very worried that i have done a big mistake with not thawing out the food

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

The cold might have irritated the coral, Keep an eye on it, It doesnt look horrible. But if it doesnt pop back in the next day or so Id worry a bit more.

4. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Yeah, ya figure that was like a big ice cube inside the coral and considering corals are mostly water and they like warm water that just really irritated it. I wouldn't worry much. I have a small bubble coral that came on some live rubble that was OUT of the water for about 3 hours and when I put it in the water it came to life. Didn't even know it was there.

5. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Just give it another day or two..I wouldn't be surprised if the cold shocked it a tad..

It looked very healthy beforehand, so It should bounce back.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

it was only a couple small pieces that i fed the coral, i was hoping that it would be ok, but guess not :(

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok, at least that reasures me that they are fairly hardy

im hoping, the tank is 6 months old and i have yet to loose anything, and i think thats pretty good considering its my first saltwater tank, i dont want the bubble to be the first all because of a stupid newbie mistake

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I have actually noticed that when I try to feed my Euphyllias they just get mad at me. It seems like every time I lightly drop a few brine shrimp on them they immediately close up for a couple of hours. Maybe some just don't like being fed. I have never feed any of my LPS (with the exception of brain corals) and they are all doing wonderful.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i actually got the food mainly for the brain but i have only seen the feeding tenticles come out once in the little over a week since ive had it, so i just decided to do the bubble even though it looked ok, and the brain looks ok too, and its even started to open up during the day

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I dunno personally if I would feed the bubble silversides, I probably would stick to brine/mysis or a marine invert food. :p Zoom would love the 3rd one.

12. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I can't really add much here, but if it starts to fully deflate and spew out a reddish goo, then I would panic. Other than that, he's probably just really upset with the chef ;D lol, just kidding Puffer, he should be fine :)