Not a Fish or Coral Disease but a Human disease called Mycobacterium Marinum

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DaDaAtlanta, Jun 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I was studying for my USMLE exams when I came across this so I thought I would take a break and share it.

M. marinum is widely distributed in water and causes chronic cutaneous infection when an open cutaneous lesion is exposed to a colonized water source. Most infections are due to hand or upper-extremity exposure to fish tanks, and some are due to shellfish or marine exposures. Swimming pools are no longer a common source of infection because of current chlorination standards. M. marinum grows optimally at 30°C—a lower temperature than is optimal for most pathogenic mycobacteria. After a median incubation period of 21 days ([​IMG]30 days in 35% of cases), a granulomatous or ulcerating skin lesion develops at the site of entry, with subsequent sporotrichoid spread in many cases. In some patients, especially those with serious underlying disease and those receiving immunosuppressive therapy, infection may extend to deeper structures, producing tenosynovitis or osteomyelitis. The diagnosis is established by mycobacterial culture of a biopsied lesion or by demonstration of granulomas or AFB in a biopsy sample from a patient with a compatible exposure history.

Treatment consists of the combination of clarithromycin and ethambutol; the regimen is given for 1–2 months after resolution of lesions—typically 3–4 months in total. Surgical debridement may be necessary in extensive or deep disease; however, routine incision and drainage are not helpful. Rifampin should be added in cases of osteomyelitis. Persons with occupational or avocational exposure to fish tanks or salt water should wear waterproof gloves to prevent infection of open cutaneous lesions.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

4. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

thank u for sharing man the looks nasty

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Oh man. I got bit or stabbed by something in my tank today and this was the first thing that crossed my mind. I'd read about it before and was going to look it up again but you've saved me the trouble.

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

7. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

As if I'm not exposed to enough stuff everyday in the hospital!

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It went through my mind too, now that I have a couple mosquito bites on my hands.....

10. stoney waters

stoney waters Fire Shrimp

wow does this stuff kill u if not treated?

11. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

that looks delicious

ha NOT!

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It can in people with weak immune systems.

Left untreated, even in people with healthy immune systems, it can get into your bones where it's nearly impossible to remove with antibiotics. One can also end up with a PERMANENT very, very ugly granuloma on your hand/arm. I have a small granuloma from getting bit on my back by a brown recluse spider. Luckily, it's covered when I wear my shirt and rarely visible.

You don't have to get it from a cut. Does anyone here ever start a siphon by sucking on a hose???? I would recommend re-thinking that strategy. Wear gloves too.