North Atlantic Garbage Patch Discovered!

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man I wish there was a way they could just net all this up from these areas. Kind of a pipe dream though. :p

Scientists have discovered an area of the North Atlantic Ocean where plastic debris accumulates.
    The region is said to compare with the well-documented "great Pacific garbage patch".
    Kara Lavender Law of the Sea Education Association told the BBC that the issue of plastics had been "largely ignored" in the Atlantic.
    She announced the findings of a two-decade-long study at the Ocean Sciences Meeting in Portland, US.
    The work is the conclusion of the longest and most extensive record of plastic marine debris in any ocean basin.

More info and source:
    BBC News - Plastic rubbish blights Atlantic Ocean

2. Click Here!

3. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Even the ocean has dead spots! It is pretty nasty to see this stuff. I was in St. Lucia and it seemed like they hadn't a care in the world for littering in the ocean. My wife and I took a hobie cat around parts of the island and trash was floating all around, it was pretty sad to see.