North American Style Tank Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by greebs, Oct 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

I was thinking of setting up a North American style tank. What type of fish would I be able to find in a fish store that would be from North America?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Not many. I didn't say this but you could catch your own. There are several types here in Colorado that stay small enough to keep in an aquarium.

4. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

Depends.
    What size tank do you have?
    How many fish are you hoping to get in there?

We have 75 gallon set up with two turtles, a smallish large-mouth bass, and a gar, minus the gar (r.i.p. the turtles bit his throat out cause we didn't get feeders in time). Come to find out, bass don't move around much; he pretty much stays stationary under a floating log. It's fun to watch them chomp away at a big batch of feeder fish, and we keep lures on top of the tank and show them to the bass from the outside occasionally. I think we might release him back into the lake in a month or so.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol you can always do minnows :D i have a bunch in the ditch behind my house and a bunch of crawdads, but that's not a fish :D

6. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

I was thinking the same myself. Especially since I own properties that I could take them from. I know of a small breed of panfish that lives in a few ponds I own that I have never seen more than 2 inches long. The only problem is that I don't know what types of temperature, pH, etc. they could handle.

7. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

They will be going in a 55 gallon. I was also thinking of a turtle to. I have 5 tanks now, and I want to try a style a little closer to home. :)

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

North American species will thrive in a variety of conditions. Think about how much the temp fluctuates throughout the year in Wisconsin. There water is most likely in the 50s 40s or even lower during winter and hits 70s or higher during summer.

If you own the property's start monitoring water conditions there while you cycle the tank.

10. UltimateWarrior

Be aware that turtles are surprisingly mean. I would not suggest them with smaller fish (like the pan fish mentioned above) unless you intend for those fish to become a meal. That being said, turtles are really cool creatures. How many things have you owned in the past that even have the possibility of reaching 100 years old?

1 person likes this.
  11. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

Very true. What type of food would be best?

12. UltimateWarrior

From what I've seen they'll eat a variety of foods. Pellets, flakes, frozen/prepared foods, live feeders, just experiment once you get everything set up. You'll figure out what is their favorite.