Normal?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by erock38, Dec 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

My tank is 5 months old. My levels are fine. I have 0 nitrate. But my sand is red, which i know is algae. But im getting a golden/yellow color in my sand. What is this?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. smoyer

smoyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What is your P04? Some browning is normal but you probably need more inverts to turn sand.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

From your description and the picture, I'd say it is cyanobacteria, not algae. If you increase your water circulation it should disappear, as it tends to grow in areas with little water movement. Good water quality should also help.

P.S.- since it is sand, you will want to place the powerhead so it blows horizontally across the sand bed, not angled toward it. Otherwise, you will have a sandstorm.

5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Either diatom blooming, or your cyano dying. Neither of which are bad. After 6 months or so your bacterial colonies should be full and eating like Fat Albert.

6. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

I just got more inverts and they have started to turn it. Most of them were on my rock. I think im going to get a goby. Will that help?

7. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

I had cyano on my rock so i guess that it is dying off. All of my parameters are fine, and my fish and inverts are doing well so i guess i will get something to turn the sand and see what happens.

8. Click Here!

9. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

I have a 750 koralia powerhead pump. I have it putting up at my intake. So i should i add another powerhead? If so how much more power? I don't want to have too much movement since im going to have coral. I already have a pulsing xenia right now.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

What size tank? A lot of corals actually need good flow!

11. erock38

erock38 Feather Duster

36 gallon bowfront

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Yes, I would recommend another powerhead - with corals, you do want a lot of water movement. This also helps maintain good water quality.