Normal Mushroom behavior?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by DrewSk, Mar 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

I recently grabbed a number of mushrooms from my lfs, and some of them are acting strange! My superman mushrooms and some of my green ones have been acting normally and opening up fully ever since i put them in the tank. However, my two knobby mushrooms (possibly rhodactis mushrooms?) have seemed to close up once they placed their foot. They have been fully open for about a week and a half, and then all of a sudden just started closing up pretty tight for some reason. is this normal? Ill post some pics once my lights come on, I can't get my phone to take good pics under my moonlights! Also, one of them is doing it more than the other. Thanks for your help!

2. Click Here!

3. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Here are the pics I promised! The first one is the mushroom im wondering about when it was open, the second is the mushroom in its current state, and the third is my second mushroom of the same type that is till opening. Sorry they're all sideways.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Since I am unable to see the pictures, I will have to ask if the mushrooms are all in the same area? My mushrooms don't like high flow and will close up if they are being blasted by a powerhead.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

pictures aren't showing up Drew

6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Dang. Ill try reposting them. And they are all in a similar area, but I don't think its high flow! My powerhead is well above where they are, and they aren't in any direct flow. Is there any way to post pics without a url?

7. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

pics attempt 2! They are in the same order as I tried last time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Any other corals nearby that could be bothering them?

10. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

not near the one that is closed up, the one that is open is near another mushroom but thats it!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

In my very limited experience, mushrooms pretty consistently open up. If they are closed, they are not liking something about their placement. I would try moving the ones that are closing up...

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thats not a Rhodactis its a Ricordea.They do not like strong lighting and should be placed on a vertical surface if possible.(just tip the rock so the Mushroom is on one side or the other.