Normal Behavior for Engineer Gobies ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by SkyFire, Jan 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Since transferring my fish to the 72 gallon tank, my previously reclusive/sedentary (for lack of a better word) engineer gobies are out & swimming most of the time. And the new yellow tang is out a lot as well, though hides as soon as a camera or cell phone comes out, in the holding tank/sump he usually just hid.

The tank is barebottom, where as the previous tank had 3/4 - 1" of sand. I did add a piece of PVC pipe for the gobies and have seen one use it for a bit.

Added info ... transferred from a 46 gallon with a clownfish, Kaudurn's cardinal, yellow tail damsel, Bicolor Angelfish & 2 engineer gobies & a Valentini Puffer.

Currently have 2 clownfish, Kaudurn's Cardinal, 2 engineer gobies & a yellow tang.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Most likely there just a little scared from the move. They should get used to your new tank in no time

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Disruption of their territory is probably contributing to the behavior but I'm thinking they may be out more without sand. I know my engineers in years past were big sand burrowers (if this is even a word).

SkyFire likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Engineer gobies need a sandbed to dig a burrow. They will probably not fair very well without one.

6. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Thanks everyone for the imputed it's been a week and they're still out and about so I plan to add a thin sanded like I did with the 46hopefully that will help settle them down. But who knows maybe they like the swimming room.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I have never seen my eng goby out swimming. Always stays in its cave/burrow. Vinny is right, a sand bed is a must.

SkyFire and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yeah, I'm gonna order some sand asap.
    Yeah, I'm gonna order some sand asap.... as I. Payday is tomorrow so as soon as it can be delivered they'll have sand.

Was thinking Marco rocks sand..... anyone have any suggestions for nice but inexpensive sand.

Time to give the mail person a hernia.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016