Norg's frag system (Big update pg 42)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by norg., Jul 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys, I was going to wait to post pictures. But the first tank is in place now so I figured, eh what the hell, Ill show you what Ive been working on. Their will be two tanks. Originally there was only going to be one, but on a trip to a LFS fellow 3reefer JossMalo and I couldnt resist this tank. It is a 120 gallon long. I picked it up for 100 bucks because there was a leak somewhere in the tank. I re-siliconed it and repainted the back black. Built both the stands myself with the help of JossMalo. Plumbing is scheduled to be done within the next few days. I also just received my RO-DI unit in the mail yesterday. It will be set up tomorrow. The pump for the 120 gallon will be ordered this week as well. I hope to have water in the first tank in two weeks. The tank to the left is a custom tank I will be building. (I have been warned about this process, but my father has been a caulking contractor for 30 years and I have been caulking since I was 12. Im confident we can handle the task.) This tank will be 6 1/2 ft x 2 1/2 ft x 13 inches. They will be running off of the same sump and fuge. The sump is a 40 gallon breeder that will house the skimmer, pumps, and reactors. The fuge is a 35 gallon tote to start. When the other tank gets set up I will be plumbing in another 35 gallon tote to hold more live rock and possibly more macro algaes. I have yet to purchase all of the lighting for the tanks. I bought a BoostLED 135MU fixture to light a portion of the tank. I am contemplating what else I will be doing for the rest of the tank. I was thinking about going full LED. If I do so it will be all DIY CREE LEDS. I may also experiment with some halides as well. Enough talk. Time for some pictures. ::)

[​IMG]

The tanks will be aligned in a L shape to maximize space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the spectacular job my father and I did on the epoxy micro flake coating on the wall. ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 stage RO-DI unit. Makes 100 gallons a day.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

SWEET!! Can't wait to see it when you're finished.

Seven-stage RO/DI?? Dang, will there be any H2O left in the water? :D

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Haha. Yeah. Im hoping there will be! I actually got this set up ridiculously cheap. 113 bucks shipped. Cant wait to set it up tomorrow. Also going to go get all of the stuff to plumb the tank tomorrow. Well hopefully. Ill have a busy day, but that usually seems to be the case lately.

6. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

where did you get the RO unit?
    looks like a good savings compared to high end brands...good choice and great savings on your build!

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I ordered it from pure water club. Great savings on their site. Im actually about to set it up as well as rig up the lighting track for the 120 gallon. Yay!

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

RO unit is set up! Had some issues though. The unit didnt come with a needle valve to connect it to a cold water pipe and the needle valve I picked up in its place didnt have a gasket to make a better seal.... Well, I figured it all out. It took long enough but the unit is set up. I have borderline no energy to finish the lighting track so that will either get done tomorrow or in the next few days.

[​IMG]

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys. Just a little update. The plumbing will be complete soon. Got the lighting track done. Lights mounted. Leveled the tank. That was alot of fun with a fairly extreme pitch in the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of the track. Its fastened directly to the floor joists above.

[​IMG]
    Just the blues on the Boost 135mu.

[​IMG]
    Close up of the blues.

[​IMG]
    Daylight and blues on.

[​IMG]
    Close up of daylight and blues.

[​IMG]
    First fuge in this system getting ready to get all plumbed together.

Thats all for now!

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

thats a steal on the RO unit, awesome build but it looks scarey in that basement :)

What are your thoughts on the LEDs. I'm trying to debate whether to get the K-2 Viper HQI vs PAR30 bulb vs DIY Retrofit BioCube29g Kit [which is the tank I own]

I just want to get the best for the corals to thrive on and I have no experience with MH or LED's and growing coral

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I can't wait to see this up and running!