Norg's 5.5 gal planted tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by norg., Jan 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hey guys,
    Recently I have come across some very cool planted nano tanks, I had bought a 5.5 gallon to be my fuge for my 3 gal pic tank but I found it to be easier to just mod a HOB filter for the same purposes. I lost the receipt for the tank, so I started thinking what to do.... Another salt tank is kinda out of the question, I just dont have the money for lights, rock, and everything it takes for a proper reef aquarium, so I decided on a heavily planted freshwater tank. I already have a 55gal which is planted, but it isnt running co2 and has less than stellar lighting. I concluded on making a sister tank to my 55.

Anyway, due to lack of funds I decided I would do everything in a DIY manner. I have a clamp on flood light with a 75w daylight bulb, a palm filter which I had from my pico, substrate from my 55, a heater that was just lying around, and a co2 reactor made from a water bottle, airline tubing, and a chop stick.
    Total, this tank has costed me just over 30 dollars. ;D

[​IMG]
    For some reason in my pictures the tank looks as though the sides are dark and only the center is lit. The center is brighter, but not by alot. Either way I like it.

[​IMG]
    co2 reactor.

[​IMG]
    Chop stick diffuser.

[​IMG]
    FTS

2. Click Here!

3. Jcaudillo

Jcaudillo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

looks Great i had a 5gallon Planted tank set up as well with the same type of DIY CO2 hehe... They are fun now get some Tetras lol! LOOKS GREAT!

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Haha I know! I want to see some fish in here too. Im thinking a glass cat and a neon tetra or two? Not totally sure.

I woke up today and looked at my tank and noticed that my plants are producing bubbles. What is that? Am I pumping too much co2 into the tank?

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

looks awesome.....

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

that looks awesome. first ive seen a co2 reactor made like that. i googled it and found a site loaded with information on it... DIY Yeast CO2 - The Planted Tank

7. Jcaudillo

Jcaudillo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yeah get a couple Neon tetra to have a little school. They love the Planted tanks as well... Seem to do better for me in planted then nonplanted haha... do you have a diffuser for your co2?... okay after looking at your pics again i see you are using a Chopstick Diff... nice never used that haha.. :D lookin good

8. Click Here!

9. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

The chopstick works just as well as a stone diffuser, and in my opinion looks better. So I like it! Probably wont be able to see it in a while though. Well hopefully, the plants should be starting grow out infront of it.

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I am thinking about one of these...can you explain what is in the bottle and how it works with the chopstick??? I thought I was going to have to have a C02 tank set-up.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

In the bottle I have about 3/4 teaspoon of yeast and about a cup of sugar. I mixed it in the bottle shown with warm water, and before I put the bottle cap on I added an pinch of baking soda. This helps to stabilize the mixture and it will neutralize any alcohol that is naturally produced by the yeast. This mixture should ideally last around three weeks. Its cheap and effective so far. The chopstick just sticks in the end of the tubing and goes in the tank. Make sure it is snug though because this will diffuse smaller bubbles which are then better absorbed into the water.

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Just thought I would post some pictures of the progress. A few new additions, and some noticable growth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]