Noob: What are some "wavy" corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by i3oosted, Oct 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

I've had my tank for over a year with just live rock and fish and now I'm starting to add coral to it.

Right now I have some polyps, shrooms, zoas, and a goniopora(lot of research on how to take care of done). I will start dosing calcium/alk really soon and my sump/refugium is under construction to have better and more stable water param's.

So, what are some of the attractive corals that will somewhat move with the current in my tank creating a wavy effect that are somewhat beginner friendly?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

Anything in the Euphyllia genus are fairly easier to keep and have the kind of flow you're looking for (more so the torch).

There are a lot of different types of Xenia which flows very well and it usually pulses as well. It spreads very quickly though, which can be good or bad.

4. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Leather corals

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sinulara, Capnella, Nephthea.
    Purple Tree Gorgonian, Purple Ribbon Gorgonian .... any one of the many photosynthetic gorgonians.
    Pumping Xenia will provide movement.

All easy beginner corals that need no dosing, tolerate higher nitrate levels and lower intensity lighting.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Recently added a Vargus Cespitularia frag to my tank,this would fit the bill nicely,moves with the current has grown quickly and has become a really nice pink color under my led lighting.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

just looked up what that name was from sailorguy. Very pretty. Yes, I would say xenia is a great coral if you're looking for swaying and the pulsing is another cool thing about it. I also agree that torches are really nice as well.

8. Click Here!

9. special juice

special juice Feather Duster

Pulsing Xenia is a good choice. In my experience it's a coral that can thrive one day and then just die the next. Worth trying though. Fairly inexpensive and interesting to watch.

10. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Pulsing xenia is a very nice coral, i had it in my 1st tank years ago, but my 2nd i did not make the same mistake,
    When this coral takes off it takes off, growing like a weed, every rock was covered and unless you take out the rock and scrape of all the remains it WILL grow back, i went from a little frag, to over 50% of the tank covered, even the back glass,

But yes a very, very nice coral

colt/kenya make nice wavey corals too.

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

not a coral but i have three tube anemones that are hypnotic the way they move/feed under blue lights

12. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

Bought a Pulsing Xenia and a Kenya tree, next on the list are a hammer/torch/frogspawn/ricordia.

I so want a tube anemone, they look AMAZING but from what little I've read, doesnt seem to be noob friendly.

Also, all this coral warfare... how came I see these massive beautiful tanks with coral on top of coral on top of coral... how do they do this?