Noob here, Am i getting ripped off?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Hasuna91, Aug 13, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

Hello all, im pretty new to saltwater tanks and just starting up my first. Iv always had freshwater tanks and never really knew the importance of lighting until now.

I currently have a 45 gallon. I only have live rock and plan on bringing in some fish sometime in the next 2 weeks. I would also love to bring in coral in the future, Once i feel comfortable with what i have at the moment. I have been looking everywhere and cant find the info i meet. I keep getting confused lol.

After doing alot of research i think i found what i need.

These are the specs below. Im not sure if this lighting system will work for what i need it to?

T5 HO 39Wx4
    Built in digital timer
    Total watts 156
    Individual power switches for T5HO bulbs, and LEDs
    2x39W 10000K daylight bulbs
    2x 39W True Actinic bulbs,
    3x Dual lunar LEDs .

A small LFS is selling me this for 100 bucks
    I explained what i needed and they told me it would get the job done.

Is this a good deal or am i being screwed?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

That should be fine for softies and LPS. You might need more for SPS or just have to keep them high in the tank. Whats the brand of light and bulbs?

4. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

It probably be a while before you're ready for SPS anyways. I think that will be a great fixture to start with.

5. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

i just called and asked and they said they where generic

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Eventually you'll want to upgrade to ATI or Giesemann bulbs. But for fish and the soft corals the generic will do.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It should be more than sufficient for all corals if the reflector is formed to wrap half way around the bulbs or it has individual reflectors for each bulb. The reflector must be aluminum though. If it is Mylar then it might be good for low light softies and LPS.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

+1 on the Giesemann bulbs! I've switched out to these several years ago on all of our service clients and in-shop systems and never looked back. they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to T5 lighting options.

The $100 price for a 4 bulb fixture seems legit. If you haven't already noticed, this hobby is not on the cheap side ;p

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think it sounds like a decent deal and definitely look at whether there are reflectors. You may also want to inquire about how old the bulbs are. If they are more than 7-8 months old, you'll want to replace them with quality bulbs. If you use older bulbs, it will contribute to algae growth. LED's should be good to go! Congrats!

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

You could also even look at an led unit. Many people here have purchased the Reef Breeders value fixture and are quite happy with it. It is quite inexpensive but would set you up from the beginning to grow pretty much anything. If yours is a standard 45g 36x12x24 then one fixture would be fine for coverage.

180 bucks shipped* Once you factor in replacement bulb costs for the t5 you will see where this led unit might be of good value from the get go.
    reefbreeders

Just my 2 cents.

12. Hasuna91

Hasuna91 Plankton

Thanks everyone. Iv learned more in the last 12 hours here then I have in the last month of research!