Non-photosynthetic Corals

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by whippy, Mar 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Hi guys,
    I've been doing a lot of reading around different places and I've decided that for right now I want to go with non-photosynthetic corals. I do not have the lighting for photosynthesizing corals nor do I plan on upgrading for some time (not until I'm ready for an anemone etc....).

Do you guys have any examples of some good corals to start with?
    I know I can go with the yellow sun coral and I plan to but I want a little more than just that.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

IMO, non-photosynthetic corals are more difficult to take care of. So if you're new to this, just something to consider.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i think i remember hearing they are harder too.

they only thing i could recommend is a tube anemone. that isn't a coral, nor will it be compatible with most stuff due to its temp requirements of 72-75 degrees.

there is the sun corals, but i think its sensitive to nitrates. and you would end up with some in a new set up tank with its constant feedings

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Definitely. What makes them more difficult? Is it the feeding requirements and such? As I said before, in many another post, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I put ANYTHING into the tank. This has been my goal (learning as much as I can) since day one. The only exception would be my scooter dragonet since he was a quick drop off from a friend in need.

Reading the Advanced Aquarist article now, lol.

6. puma

puma Flamingo Tongue

You could try lace corals. they are a type of hydrocoral that is non photosynthetic if thats something you really want. They are kind of cool and they are nocturnal and they dont like to be in the light. So the lower the lighting, the better. Only problem is they are hard to find.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would say its the feeding and making sure they have adequate food supply, a plankton drip tap would probably be necessary for the ones that dont have big mouths.

also i think some of the stuff required for them wouldnt, mix well with regular photosynthetic corals. and vice versa

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Yeah, maybe I need to rethink this, LOL.

Ok, phyto and zooplankton, rotifers, artemia, alternating strong laminar currents, stirring of subtrate.
    So what I'm seeing most is that for the care of these corals I will have to have a dedicated coral tank if I choose to venture into this. Fish and other inverts will not tolerate the release of the bacteria and such from stirring which means it won't happen in my DT. :shifty:

I can add a polyp or two of the sun coral to my tank and be OK for a little while but to really dedicate time to this would mean a marine bio PhD. LOL.

In conclusion: It is cheaper and more beneficial for my tank and sanity to just buy better lights. ::)

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I completely agree. I didn't say it to begin with because it's your call on what you want to do... but yeah, I think you'll get bored with the restrictions of not having quality lights will place on you.

1 person likes this.
  11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

LOL, well like I said, I'm still learning!! I appreciate the info :D

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

I have a black sun that pops out new babies fairly often, but i was feeding more than i should and paid the price with higher phosphates/nitrates, have it in mediumish flow and not too much light. It's doing great considering ho much GPH flow I have. But I do agree it would be more rewarding with photosynthetic corals, and the non-photo ones are much much harder to care for, not for a beginner by any means.