Noisy SCA-303 (150g)

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Cheygirl8, May 5, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

Ok, so for the past week, my skimmer has been driving me bananas! So much so it's essentially in skimmer time out >:| I have unplugged, replugged, disassembled (which really I can take the back off, and the airline tube, and nozzle screw thing, and then I stare at it like "Now what" I also don't see anything caught) I have put it on foam, I have put it on its little suction cup stand I have put it without. It just will not stop with this infernal gnawing hum. Once upon a time, I got it to go dead silent still had a normal mechanical hum but golden silence. I have no idea what I did. But I would love to run my skimmer to keep my fish alive, but I would also like sleep, as you can hear this thing in the other room x.x It still skims ok, just doesn't seem like it does much. I get a great bubble head and everything goes up the cylinder just right. I don't have a ton of fish so I don't expect a ton of waste, but I feel like it can skim way more than it does now.

The best way I can describe this sound is that it sounds like one of the HOB filters when you first set them up. When you first initially get some water on them and it hits the propeller. Or when there is not enough and it sounds like there is this constant grating/gnawing motor-like sound. (I don't have a means for video but I would totally have someone listen to this thing over a skype call.)

As you can see in the picture below, I keep the water level above 10". My return pump, which is the same size, makes absolutely 0 noise. It's like it doesn't exist in my sump. Which is what I know my skimmer should sound like, since it has done it before. But I just cannot debunk what is causing it to be so loud. It makes the noise regardless of what it sits on, so I am at a loss.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

Any ideas? I haven't had a chance to try an eggcrate, but I am wondering exactly what I should do. Nothing is loose I made sure of that. I don't get very far trying to open it up. I guess if anyone has the same skimmer maybe shed some insight on past experiences?

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Wish I could help you out here chey. I have a 303 still in the box and know less than you do about skimmers, buy I'll be following.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Does it need an air intake silencer?

Clean it again, put on padding, sometimes they quiet themselves down with time.

HTH

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What type of skimmer is it? It appears to be a Cad Lights from what I can see.

You said you disassembled - did you soak the pump parts and silencer/venturi in vinegar? How is the impeller?

7. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I have had this problem with my 303 before. Take out the impeller. If the blade spins freely and makes a ticking noise when it get to then end of the rotation then your going to need a new one to get the noise to stop. If the blade has a little bit of resistance in it while turning and doesn't tick when if gets to then end of the rotation the sound is coming from somewhere else. I bet 8 out of 10 times your going to have to buy a new impeller. Here is where I got my last impeller
    Impeller Only for Atman PH2500 Protein Skimmer Pump Fit SCA 303 Skimmer | eBay
    or you can contact SCA directly. Hope this is helpful.

8. Click Here!

9. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

These are answered in order, and to each individual who responded.

The blue cylinder with the airline tube? No cracks in it or any holes. It still sucks air fine.

It is an SC Aquarium PS Model 303 rated for 150 Gallons. I haven't soaked it in vinegar yet, so I will have to try. I will link it below for you ^^

SC Aquariums SCA-303 150 Gallon Protein Skimmer - Protein Skimmers

I can't even get to the impeller? Like I said I take off the back cover and stare at it because nothing will come out or off for that matter. On the front of the pump I can take off the blue cylinder (I believe that's the venturi as Todd and Matt were calling it) and the attachment holds the blue tube in place. From there nothing else comes off.? Also I am very glad you mentioned contacting SCA, as my pump does fall within 90 day warranty. But I will see if I can fix what I have now. I guess I can always pray for simple :p

10. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Your pump should be able to come apart. Take a look at this picture. If you can take the whole pump out soak it in vinegar then try to get the rest of the impeller housing apart. Then you can check the impeller.

Attached Files:

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Exactly what R S said! If you haven't seen the impellar, you havene't cleaned it, etc. It may be as simple as something stuck in there also, happens alot with small debris of various kinds.

Take it apart- really- and see what happens.

Also, I meant a silencer for the end of the air hose that is on the upper end, somethimes just that little tube makes a loud sucking sound.

12. Cheygirl8

Cheygirl8 Astrea Snail

OK, so I finally got it "fully" apart. By ticking do you mean if you try and spin it and it stops and ticks? Because I hope I explain this right, but my "wheel" doesn't go 360* it stops at the tippy top and you can spin it back the other way until it hits the same spot.