Noisy Overflow!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by el_sillo, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

i recently changed my sump pump to the Quiet One 2200 that gives 581GPH, and my overflow is a eshopps 300GPH. I took the sponge out from the overflow for better water quality and since i changed my sump pump the overflow pipe down to the sump makes lots of noise! and ideas to how to make it more quiet?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Is it gurgling, waterfall or bubble sound?
    How is the drain plumbed?

I also installed an eshopps overflow box and I'm having waterfall noise on the inside box of the overflow, mine did not come with any sponge.

4. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

its more or less like a waterfall sound, the pipe from the overflow to the sump is 3/4" PVC and has two 90 degree angles.

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

1. you could have too much water thru it. try to valve back your pump.
    2. since you took that sponge off, it used to act as a silencer. you may need to replace that or use an alternative silencer. this is a Mute point if case 1 is correct

6. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

If your getting gurgling from the overflow box, look into a gurglebuster.

if its coming from below, you may need to restrict your pump as already mentioned.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

An easy way to determine is to stick a tube down the overflow and see if the increase in air helps out. Then you can either leave it there or else restrict your return flow

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I too had that same problem with my eShopps PF-300 overflow box. I took the six inch long (or so) pvc pipe that came with the setup and stuck that inside the hole in the bulkhead. It raised the water level above that baffle in the overflow box, causing ALL waterfall noise to go away (if that's the waterfall noise you are talking about). I also put a ball valve on the drain line and partially closed the valve. Not enough to restrict flow, just enough so that only water can fit down the drain line (no air mixing with it). It is now dead silent. The only noise coming from the setup is the water flowing into the overflow box inside the display tank. People cringe at using a ball valve, but it's the same thing as using a hofer or durso. They also restrict the flow, but don't look like a ball valve, so people assume they are better. They aren't. They are doing the exact same thing that the ball valve does. Just have to spend a week or two tweaking the ball valve to get the perfect setting. Once you do, don't touch it ever again. Closed just a hair too much, and you restrict the flow, causing the water level in the display tank to raise slightly. Open just a hair too much, and you still get noise. Set just right, and it's absolutely dead silent. 27 months later, mine is still working perfectly with zero maintenance and no incidents.

10. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

I agree with putting a ball valve in the overflow pipe. Like already mentioned above, you don't have to turn it much at all. You adjust it slowly until your noise goes away and water levels are stable. The valve is used to fine tune the overflow with the return pump. Also put a ball valve on the return pump pipe.

11. JP909

JP909 Feather Duster

Bingo! I have the pf800 put a 1/4 clear air line to quiet down it works very well check out this video of my set up. Also my skimmer is now louder then my overflow box lol.
    YouTube - 55 gallon fowlr update 8/29/2010

12. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

thanks for all the quick solutions! well actually i already have the return and the overflow pipe with ball valves! so i might check that out about trying to tune it! but the only problem i see with that would be that the tank will lose cycle, and for better water quality it would be best if the water keeps cycling at high gph!
    now about the 1/4" air line! do i have to run that thru all the pipe down to the sump? i really dont understand that setup?