no pic but very easy to explain...

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Twan013, Jan 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

ok, first of all, i must add...

"I TRY TO GET AWAY AND THEY KEEP DRAGGING ME BACK!!!!" (aka, i'm welcoming myself back to this forum lol)

ok, the other night i went to a place called "aquarium design" in birmingham alabama, because you could see the actinic lights from a mile away, and it triggered my old addiction...lol anyway, they probably have a total of 50 or more saltwater aquarium, plus frag tanks out the wazoo.... all of which are absolutely gorgeous! (once again, triggering my addiction).... anyway, in a couple of their tanks, i noticed what i thought were aiptasia... except these were HUGE! about the size of my thumb... give or take. I didn't bother to ask the workers there about them, because i could never find any... the atmosphere reminded me more of a saltwater museum instead of a store... but whatever... all aiptasia i had ever seen was tiny.. exactly how big can these guys get? or is what i saw some other sort of soft coral?

2. Click Here!

3. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

ugh... not coral... but anemone

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Adults can reach 3-4 inches in height and diameter.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

amcarrig, 3-4, what are they on steroids, there only supposed to grow upto an inch

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've seen them get big enough to swallow a client's adult h. erectus (one of the "medium" sized seahorse species)

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I agree, I have seen these buggers get huge, not fun.

10. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

so this could in fact be aiptasia?? ugh... seems like this place would know better... but yeah, i thought an inch was about the biggest they got too.. that's still about twice as big as mine ever got...

11. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Could i have been a cerianthid AKA tube anemone? Here is a link to info with a picture: Aquarium Invertebrates

I known more than a few people to get these two confused. You have to look for the solid tube.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have one right now that is about 3-4 H and a little smaller than a regular tennis ball growing in my overflow chamber.