No More Power Outtage's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GreyGhost, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

I am ordering a large fan motor with a pulley on it and running it off an Inverter (ac to dc power supply) The Inverter will be hooked up to a Gel Marine Battery The pulley on the Large fan motor will be ran to an alternator off of my old pickup which will keep the battery charged up and keep the fan motor running. It should be a little bit noisy but should keep enough power to run my tank and fuge. The Inverter is a 1500w. What do you think? Am I missing anything? We have alot of power out's in the winter and I want to keep everything alive. I was lucky last winter and only lost power for a few hour's. The year before we were out 7 day's but my tank's were empty at the time. You think it will work? I need input. Thank you for your time.
    Ghost

2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You need a way to make moonshine from that same unit as well;)

Seriously, DOOOO EEETT!

If you can get this working, you pretty much would have a perpetual energy machine.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

What kind of lights do you have? How many watts is your heater an what kind of pumps and powerheads do you have.?

5. GreyGhost

I have a distiller I got long ago from sear's. I put in fresh tap water at 5 gallon's a pop and the next day I have 5 gallon's of distilled water. I have been using it for about 3 year's now. It is great for top off's and saves alot come water changing time. I had my LFS test the water and he said it was sure enough distilled. So I guess if I was a drinking man I could do some moonshine.

6. GreyGhost

Everything added up I am not coming close to 1500 so I could more than likely run my television also.

7. GreyGhost

Just thought other's might live in part's of the country that have to go without power for day's at a time. So it does work I just havent set it in motion yet.

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

My only concern is how long will it run it before the battery dies? My tank pulls a little over 700W if the heater is on (which it will be if your power is out because you'll have no furnace).
    So if you had a 225 amphour battery it will be good for about 3000Watthours (225*13v). That will run you for a little more than 4 hours with everything on. You won't be able to recharge that battery once the power is out.
    I like the idea and it will get you through some short power outages. If the outage extends longer just hook up the inverter to your car and let it run. That's what I did last year.

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Simply wont work. At least not the way I understand it.

So the inverter is being powered off the battery. The inverter is then powering the tank and a fan motor. The fan motor is powering an alternator which is charging the battery?

That would defy the laws of physics. It would last longer if you just hooked the inverter to the battery and used that to power the tank. Adding the fan/alternator will cause the battery to die faster.

2 people like this.
  11. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

I agree with stepho. People have been trying to make the "perpetual machine" for as long as there have been machines. Your best bet is a generator.

1 person likes this.
  12. GreyGhost

How would an alternator drain the battery when it is what charges the battery? It will work.