No Heavy Bucket Water Change Under 10 Minutes

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Oryo, Feb 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I saw this on YouTube and decided to make one Saturday morning:

NO Bucket Water Change, easiest way, 120 gal reef - YouTube

I did mine with 3/4 inch PVC and 10 feet of 3/4 inch Clear Flexible Vinyl Tubing.. Total project cost me under $25 and I used it today and it worked perfect!!! The tubing was about $19 and the PVC was about $6.

The only bucket I used was the one with the fresh salt water which I had the pump in... Did the water change fast!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

4. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

What Todd said! Interested to see how it works though

5. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Fixed the link.

Nice tank.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Little confused by the use of a bucket in a video named no bucket wc.lol
    Pretty sure pumping the water back in is a common practice.:-/

8. Click Here!

9. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

The way I do my wc's kills my back. Use a container to fill a 5g bucket. Dump 5g bucket. Repeat. Fill clean 5g bucket. Put into tank. Repeat. Lots of bucket lifting

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Build yourself a small cart (wheels optional)for your bucket.If you get it a little higher off the ground you can use a smaller pump (or even gravity if you have mad wood skillslol)to pump the water back in the tank.;)

11. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

The bucket wouldn't travel over a flat surface though. Lol.

I think I might try what Oryo posted. What kind of pump is needed? Just any kind of return pump?

12. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

I use to siphon water out to a 5 gallon bucket and then carry the bucket outside to pour it out. I would have to walk about 20 yards with a heavy bucket.
    Once I took the amount of water out I would lift fresh salt water with a 5 gallon water jug and pour it to top of the tank.

Now, I just siphon water out with tubing through the window that gets poured outside and I don't have to carry a bucket anymore like I use to . The only time I lift a bucket is when I bring in new bucket of fresh salt water but instead of lifting it up and over to tank I just place on the floor and add the pump (Old Rio 2100). Let the pump do all the work filling the tank.

This way is so much faster and easier for me without breaking my back. I can't wait for my 3 yr old gets old enough and strong enough to do it for me...LoL

The tank in the video is not my tank and I WISH IT WAS! This guy doesn't have the tank anymore because he lost everything during Hurricane Sandy. If you check his YouTube clips you can see when he went back and filmed what was left in the tank. He had an incredible looking tank and I hope he gets it back up again in time.