No Algea?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tooconceited, Sep 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I started my 30G cube about a month ago. I used live rock from an established tank and also some live sand from that tank, they both were kept in warm water and I don't think they experienced much die off if any at all. I had 0.25 ammonia and 0.25 nitrite after the first few days. Then they both dropped to 0 and my nitrate climbed to 20ppm over the course of a couple weeks. I never got any algea blooms. I have one small damsel and a clean up crew (for no real reason apparently). The CUC consists of 10 cerith snails and about 20 red legged hermit crabs. They are small. I also have one feather duster. Is it ok that I never got algea. Also I only have a small strip light until my MH arrives and I have a new Coralife super skimmer running.

2. Click Here!

3. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

I wouldn't be too concerned. I had the same dilema. When i started i read everyone going through algae problems while I wasn't. My tank didn't start to develop algae until well into 2 months and it was brown (diatoms) now it's starting to turn green. When you get your MH's on there you'll probably have a bloom. One thing, don't add too much too soon. I went through my first cycle, and as soon as I added 2 fish, boom I went through a mini cycle again, which lasted a week! Do you plan on keeping that damsel? If not I would remove it as soon as possible before you add any more fish.

4. tooconceited

I'm not sure about the damsel. I didn't use him to cycle the tank, but even with all parameters testing well I didn't want to put a $16 fish into my tank as the first. I probably don't wanna keep him. I want a clownfish (read my wife wants me to get a clownfish) and of course some coral down the line. I don't know what other fish really. Probably not many.

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

ya get rid of the damsel before you get any other livestock...you'll have a hard time with the damsel. you can cycle the tank just with liverock which is what I did and I had no problems.

6. tooconceited

Yeah it was cycled when I added the damsel. I just didn't want to add a $30 fish and then have it die for some reason. I'll get him out before I add something.

7. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Yeah... I wouldn't expect you to have a bloom. Maybe after you add the hallide.