NJ, underwater ecosystem in Jeopardy

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chumslickjon, Mar 21, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I know this is a global aquarium forum, and this probably doesn't directly relate to much of what is discussed here. But I thought some of you would be interested.

Area's along the NJ coast used to be packed with marine life. Jetty's, pilings and natural structures off shore which were a home for many marine animals. Safe havens for small fish and crabs, hunting grounds for large fish. Some 20-25 years ago, came politians and also the Army Corps of Engineer's who decided that there was no life under that water worth saving and the beaches were more valuable. So they began what's called beach replenishment. The project pumps sand onto the beaches from out in the deeper waters which is then washed away, all at the tax payers dime. It's an endless cycle. However, not all beaches participated, and there is still a couple of mile stretch of NJ with some of the most fertile waters that are still left, they contain jetties and pilings and natural offshore reef like structures.

Since hurricane Sandy, the Army Corps of Engineers has recieved a lot of money are are now about to destroy the last existing habitat that is left in NJ.

I just wanted to share a video from around 20 years ago that shows a small peice of these eco systems that are being destroyed.

BEACH RICH? FISH POOR! - YouTube

Today we (groups of fishermen, surfers and concerned citizens) are participating in a rally at one of the beaches which have recently been impacted. We will be trying to fight this. However, with over 100 billion dollars in government grants to complete this work, there is most likely little that can be done. We are also writing crogress and doing what we can to save the last area that is now unique to NJ.

Here is a link if there are anyone who would like to oppose this project. Since it's government funded (with all of our tax dollars), I would think that we ALL have a say.

https://www.change.org/petitions/u-...-stop-elberon-loch-arbour-beach-replenishment

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

the video doesn't play for me??

4. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

ok, I've removed the video preview, you would just need to click the link now. Thanks for looking.