Nitrates

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by swinkreptiles, Oct 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

So when I got home today I noticed I had quite a bit more cyano in my tank than this morning, and I had fed some mysis shrimp this mornin but the CUC didnt eat alot of it, so I checked my nitrates and they where 60+. Then I found a dead Mexican Turbo snail and I dont think its been there for more than 2 days.

Question is will these two things play a factor in it being that high? And if I turn my skimmers air intake up will it remove the nitrates quicker?

Running a cannister with carbon rated for a 200 gal tank on a 55 gal tank, plenty of flow and no other trash in the tank besides the mysis. I also ran my air intake from my skimmer outside about a week ago to bring in fresh air instead of the house air. It has kept my ph at 8.2 and has not moved since.

Should I do a water change or test it in the morning then do the change if it is worse?

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

do a 50% water change if your that worried should drop it a ton!

4. swinkreptiles

swinkreptiles Melanarus Wrasse

it will be morning before i can do that....have to let the water sit...:angry:

5. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

thats fine, do the water change and you should be good to go

1 person likes this.