nitrates high

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by LCP136, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I tested today to find my nitrate floating up around 20-25 ppm. What are some possible reasons for this. Nitrite and ammonia are both undetectable.

2. Click Here!

3. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

When was your last water change? has anything died or any other changes recently? added anything? Are you using any kind of bioballs or sponges for filtration? any macro algaes?

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I've changed 10 gallons out of a 90 in the last week. Nothing has been added. No bioballs or macros. However, I think you may have found it. There is a sponge in my sump. Not really sure why its there, but it came in the wet/dry off of craigslist. That may be contributing. Also, there is a filter pad in my canister that I honestly and very stupidly totally forgot about. It's been sitting there for 4 or 5 times as long as it should and is probably dumping nitrate into the water.

5. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Yes, the sponge and def. the filter pad could be reasons for the nitrates. Also do you use RO/DI water? even for topoffs? if so, then when was the last time you changed the filters in your ro/di? if not, this could also be a reason...

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Stir up your substrate at all?