nitrates driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by TBELT, Jan 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

just got in and tested the water and after shaking the test tube for the first time in a long time it was still yellow. YEA!!!. It started to pick up on orange tint after a few minutes though. So tonight another 8 gallon change and replace the filter media and test again tomorrow. But for the first time I feel like I am winning the war. I am doing a tone of water changed to beat this thing (replace the filter media every time too not just rinsing). If I can keep the color yellow it will have been worth it.

2. Click Here!

3. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Did a 12 gallon change and blew off the rocks with a powerhead and replaced all the filter media again last night. Tested this morning and the color stayed yellow with a slight tint of orange but more yellow then orange even after the 5 minute wait. Going to do another 12 gallons on Tuesday and change the filter media again and I am hoping that I will have the Nitrate problem licked. It is important to kick the Nitrates over this next month as I need the rock, sand(3-4 months old) For my 180 gallon that i am putting together. Even if I carry over some I am using all new water so it should dilute to nothing. I hope:confused:

So far it looks like I am starting to win a battle or 2 and looking as if I will win the war. Going through a tone a salt water though. Glad i got the RO/DI filter system. It has come close to paying for itself already (maybe 1/2) ::)

Thanks for looking

Tony