nitrates between 5 & 10 overfeeding?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SaltyClown, Mar 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Yesterday I noticed my corals just didn't seem to be that happy; they didn't have that pop of color they normally do. And not opening as fast or as full. Just a little bit that I noticed. I tested my tank.

KH: 9
    CAL: 440
    MAG: 1320
    TEMP: 80
    SG: 1.025
    PHOSPHATES: 0

But my nitrates are between 8 & 10. I know I've recently been overfeeding the tank. I'm going to cut way back on feeding. Tank is 75 gal with 30 gal sump. Total water volume, 85 to 90 gals.

I plan on doing a 10% water change tonight or tomorrow.

I also noticed that some flesh seems to be receding on my frogspawn it also appears that its guts are coming out its side. I've seen coral spit their guts before, but theft normally retract them back within a few hours. I I think this would also explain why my Dunkin corals flesh is terribly receding. That and my acans weren't as full yesterday. I just hope it's not too late any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Most likely there is something more than nitrates. NO3 at 5-10 is not a big deal at all.
    What test kit are you using for PO4 and NO3? I would consider new kits and a low range PO4 test method like the Hanna checker.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Nitrates aren't gonna cause those problems at 10ppm. I keep mine at 5ppm. I recommend testing with another kit on all parameters. Something else is definitely going on.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

^^+1 - I agree....nitrates are not that high. Must be something else going on.