Resolved Nitrate!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by colcol79, Oct 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Colcol

I am a big fan of Sea Chems, Purigen , I believe adding that to your filtration system would be effective in reducing your nitrates, if you dont want to go the sump and fuge route

Steve

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. colcol79

colcol79 Feather Duster

Thanks steve i will look into them!

colin

4. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

MY NITRATES ARE FINALLY GOING DOWN!! After almost a year, and trying everything (which included adding quite a fuge) I think I have found something that has finally worked..its called MicroBacter7 by Brightwell Aquatics...I have been using it for like 4 days now and already see a good drop in my nitrates...(which usually hang around 60ppm ALWAYS)...when i tested yesterday they were actually at about 15ppm...that has never happened even with big water changes with RO/DI water I've never been able to get it to go under 20ppm...I guess ur supposed to use this stuff for 2 weeks..in that amount of time I would suspect my nitrates to be undetectable....the LFS here in town said he has seen aquariums go from 180ppm down to 0 in 2 weeks...I thought he was BSing me but looking at what it has done in 4 days..he might of been telling the truth...well worth the $40 for a 2liter bottle :) just my opinion...safer than vodka

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Woohoo! Glad you finally found something that works! I'm going through the same struggle right now, so I think I'll check out what you used.

Congrats! :)

6. Kevin3884

Yeah I am SOO happy they are going down...I can finally get a clam soon!! So Stoked!

7. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

Neo zeo and zeovit systems work but they seem a little new to me. A deep and bed will also take care of nitrates.

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Honestly I don't think you have a problem Yes you over fed for a bit and had a fish loss. I would perform a few water changes a little sooner than you normally would and everything should return to normal if normal was around 10mg/l I really don't think you need to go further

10. Kevin3884

In my case with nitrates nothing has worked except this MicroBacter7 stuff...I tried and had EVERYTHING...which includes
    1. Cutting back of feeding
    2. Deep sand bed
    3. Over 200lbs live rock
    4. Tank not over stocked
    5. Added a Big Fuge with VERY deep sand bed
    6. Grow Macro Algae like its nobody's business
    7. Water Changes...and lots of them with RO/DI water
    8. Tried vodka dosing...exactly as directed
    9. Planted mangroves
    10. Ran a phosphate reactor full of nitrate sponge, then tried purigen...nothing

Nothing above took my nitrates down to less than 20ppm....and then right back up to 60+ in a day or 2....nothing was left dead in my tank ever...it just wouldnt lose the nitrates plain and simple, everything else was perfect...phosphates were 0 at all times...then I bought this microbacter7 stuff and no lie its actually worked..i was just as stunned as I could be.. so maybe something else WILL work in their case but...just saying nothing worked in mine..lol