Nitrate too high

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by alexander, Apr 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

+1 Peredhil, get your cuc in first then you can start with the fishies. :)
    Also inverts such as crabs and snails like a higher SG.

2. Click Here!

3. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Which refractometer did you get off ebay? There are tons of them. Yeah I know to take it slow, how many snails should I add though?

4. pgoodsell

Cant remember the name of mine, but it was like 35 bucks. Just make sure to get a saltwater one. They make them for sugar and alcohol too, these will do you no good.

1 person likes this.
  5. alexander

Awesome, I'll order one right now. I'm going to take my water to the LFS tomorrow and have them test the salinity, that way I can get some snails!;D

K+ to all of you and thank you for all the replies.

6. alexander

7. pgoodsell

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

pH is directly affected by the amount of oxygen (or lack thereof) in your tank. The less O2 you have in your system generally means a buildup of CO2, which will lower your pH. Adding surface movement at the top of your tank will increase O2 exchange, which can naturally increase your pH. Also, having a glass cover over the top of your tank can inhibit gas exchange, keeping pH low. Also, sometimes just opening a window in your house to get fresh air circulating will get your pH up.
    I use a Tropic Marin dkH test kit, but I don't see it available anymore.
    Seachem Multitest: pH & Alkalinity Test Kit
    Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater/Saltwater Carbonate Hardness (KH) Test Kit
    Your dkH is your pH buffer. A good dkH level, which can/should range anywhere from 8-12 or more. This is what prevents your pH from swinging wildly when chemical reactions happen in the system.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Don't take our advise on that. Go to ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and fill out their form (click 'custom clean up crews') and get the advise from John.

I advise you to follow his recommendations exactly. He's very knowledgeable (many here can vouch). Your first instinct will probably be "that's way too many" but it isn't. Not at all.

They are also the cheapest.