Nitrate reductor

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by boogie, Apr 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. boogie

boogie Plankton

HI - has anyone here have - had any experience with nitrate reductors? There are a few versions on the net, one from drs foster smith, another aquamedic, I think, and another I forget.

I have extreme nitrates that I will never be able to control with H20 changes. Because of my bio load I would need to do 100% water changes every day - not kidding.

So, I need to find another source to control this issue.

I hope someone here has some info.

Also, my refugium cannot handle it either - bio load too high. So, I only want to know about nitrate reductors or some other mechanical way of helping nitrates.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

there are people who make them here and put them for sale. i think tangster was the one selling them.
    but honestly im not sure they will provide the huge relief you are expecting. i would think a very large fuge would be more effective. you may want to thing of upgrading it.
    but i dont have any personal expierence with the denitrators. so i expect some one else could give you a more reliable answer

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If the nitrates are as bad as you state, then no mechanical device will be suitable. Sounds like you need to get rid of some fish ;)

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I second that.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sounds like sound advice, but I would like to know what he considers
    "extreme nitrates". I would also like to know a little more info on his set up. Luna

7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I'd be tempted to say get a refuge. Altho that being said it does depend on what the nitrates actually are and what the bioload is.

8. Click Here!

9. boogie

boogie Plankton

Hi everyone and thank you for your advice and interest - it gives me hope and I really appreciate it.

First I'd like to say that this is not a reef tank. I do not mean to be an interloper but reef keepers are at another level all together when it comes to aquaria - not dissing myself or fish only's - it's just the truth. This is precisely why I love to read reef forums, esp. this one as it is so informative.

I apologize for such a long post, but here is goes;

My tank is actually 2 tanks with 2 sump/refugium

Top tank is 48 inches wide , 87 inches long, 38 inches high

Bottom (3 tank areas): 1. Sump with 2 protein skimmers and 2 socks
    48 inches wide, 22 inches high, 19 inches long

2. "Refugium" - really just another tank
    48 inches wide 22 inches high 34 inches long

3. Intake/outake water tank
    11 inches wide 22 inches high 16 inches long

Custom built system, used a crane to put into house, took out a very large picture window to put into house and replaced with another window. 2 100 gallon plastic containers, one with r/o and one with salt water under house in the garage with plumbing to and from tank for water changes - no buckets or hoses necessary, of course. Large pump for circulation, cooler under house near containers. 4 power filters 3 on top 1 in refugium to help circulate more water.

In refugium tank - that algae that starts with a ch (sorry) but supposed to be the best kind. Have tried numerous attempts with mangroves - no success they die within weeks.
    Looking for more algae at this time. Also have some calpuera (sorry spelling on some of this - should have been more prepared).

Problem lies here:
    top tank:
    4 sharks - bottom dwelling all fat and happy
    6 fat and happy eels
    4 tangs happy
    1 panther grouper fat and happy
    1 wrasse happy
    A ton of live rock

Sump with 2 protein skimmers:
    2 triggers

Refugium tank: 2 small eels and 2 puffers

So, as you can see I am over populated. I do weekly changes of about 100 to 125 gallons r/o water with coralife salt.

I think I am just going to bite the bullet and spend around $1500 on the aquamedic nitrate reductor - maybe it's going to cost more - you need a doser and a reader and it's just so complicated. I tried not to make my system complicated and am scared of the cost and difficulty with this reductor. There are at least 3 kinds, yet I can't find anyone who has had them and no one seems to even have heard of them so I don't understand how they can sell them in the first place - it's really irritating - there seems to be no information on this vast web - yet they are for sale...

Thanks for your patience, just don't want to have to have you guys wondering things...
    Also, no chance that I am going to rid myself of the animals - I just have to figure out how to fix things - whether some think I should or not and trust me, some forums get really mean and I am not interested in an argument. Thanks again.

10. boogie

boogie Plankton

Oh, I noticed you wanted to know nitrates - ahhh, they are around 100 to 120 - so there, no yelling, be nice - it's always better to be nice than to point fingers......Again not going to give away fish. You would not believe how rancid some other forums can be - hope you guys are a lot nicer. You are the only forum I've gone into such detail with so be careful with my feelings, please. Use API tester for nitrates - the very red color always shows up so could even be higher

Also, I forgot to mention I have a ton of rock in all the 3 tanks under the larger tank, so I have so much rock there is no room for anymore rock - I spent at least $1000 on rock. So more rock will not help either. I feed my tank around every 2 days and they eat 95% of the food - I can't say 100 % cuz you can never be sure. Thank you.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well a fuge shouldnt really have any animals in it. i think the macro you have is cheatomorpha.
    i would not worry about mangroves.
    is your fuge full of cheato or does it just got a chunk in it?

edit: also what kind of lighting do you have on the fuge?

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

In a tank like that NO3 are of little concern you are proberley growing enoght algae in there to lower them to where they are now , You can add a NO3 coil and or the aquamedic deni ball units or a sulfure fed system either of these will remove them in time .. They all work like any other reacotr it takes tile to slowly remove the problem..And on a side note in a large prediator tank like this the money you wasted on rock would have been better spent on filtration and pumps ozone and a denitrater unit :)

1 person likes this.