nitrate question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by rc_mcwaters3, Feb 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

OK so i have been going by the lfs testing because its free..... boy have they screwed me on this one :angry:, Let me explaine, my mother in law got me a API test kit for my b-day so i figured i would try it out just to see, LOL kit reads as follows

PH: 8.2
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrate: 80 ppm!!!!!!:p

The lfs said it was zero across the board so they lied or test kits they have are crap. :angry:

Quetions are do i replace the filter media, water change, and repeate the water chand in 4 days? :confused:

HELP

2. Click Here!

3. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Honestly, API test kits for nitrate are VERY bad IME..My 29g biocube reads over 100ppm..My tank looks great and is healthy..I had a 14g biocube that was fully stocked and ran great and it read about 85ppm..Get a better test kit for nitrate IMO.

4. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would retest the nitrate and if its THAT high then I would do an immediate water change. 10-20% would be in order for this case and how big is you aquarium? Clean your media bags and replace the contents of it.

Check to make sure the test isn't expired as well.

I use API and it doesn't give me trouble.

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

well api arent as acurate as the best but they still work..so yeah you got a shady fish store..or someone messed up..or they havent even been checking it just saying..

as long as you dont see any problems then you will ok for the most part..do some waterchanges with 0tds rodi water...get some carbon and gfo running...but mainly do waterchanges..i would do a little in the morning and a little at night..

6. saints fan 420

i have api's and mine read 0-.25 nitrates and 0 phosphates..

so i know i have some of both but not a whole lot..

i never test my water..if i have bad algae come up then i know i have trates and phates..unless something looks bad then i dont ever check them..but i check salinity daily..

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

test kit is brand new and already have the water mixed and am waiting for the lights to go off to do the change, and am going to change the media in the hob filter. BTW its a 20 gallon and have hed no problems except for the mushroom not opening up I knoow why now LOL. and doing a 2 gallon water change

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

fish stores test kits are probably expired.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Are you checking the expiration date on them or just going by purchase date?

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Ok did a quick search API's come with the manufacture date on the bottle, the life span of the Nitrate kit is 4 years.

12. saints fan 420